Sunday, August 23, 2009

Thanks, Bob and Judy!

You know, I needed this weekend. I bought myself a bottle of wine Friday night. It has been such a rough and long month that I had plans to have a glass or two of wine curled up in bed with a good book ('The Lemon Tree' by Sandy Tolan). I had a glass of wine, read a couple of pages, dozed off by eight.

I spent time with my husband. We worked on an apartment, but it felt good to work alongside him in our normal quiet way. I spent an afternoon making homemade pizzas. That felt good too. Somehow, it makes me feel centered to putter around in the kitchen, to have the time to putter around in the kitchen. Tim and I went walking in a cemetary, and he showed me an old suspension bridge. I traversed the wires in a dress (I had swapped the heels for a pair of flats). I went to meet a friend at her church this morning. We've been writing back and forth on the internet, and she has been a blessing to me. Tim and I both felt that we were right where we were supposed to be this morning, as we listened to her husband preach. In visiting with them, we were amazed that these quiet people have been part of some mighty works of God, including starting (from scratch) a Halfway House for men.

It's been a rough month, really, but you know what? I am blessed. I am so blessed. I'm blessed that God puts me into contact with people that encourage me when my own spirits lag. I am blessed to be one half of a marriage that works. I am blessed to have food in my pantry. My children. My friends. The list of good things in my life is a long one indeed. This weekend was badly needed. A chance to calm myself, center myself, to fix mine eyes upon the hills. There is a lot of uncertainty in my life right now, but this weekend put things right for me again. I find that I am waiting not with dread, but with expectation.

8 comments:

RedWifey said...

I am so glad you've found your footing again, Debby. I've been quietly in prayer for God to bring to you whatever you needed to find some peace and to put the dread to bed.

And to answer your sweet question on my blog, no it's not rude to ask and the date is Sept 2. So really anyday...

Beth said...

Sounds like you are in a good place, so good to hear. That book has had lots of good reviews - are you enjoying it?

WhiteStone said...

I love coming over here to read your words. Glad your weekend was a blessing to you. Ours was as well.

Roxanne said...

I'm so glad your weekend was better. A chance to calm, regroup and wait patiently. You are in my prayers.

Bush Babe said...

Sweet... I feel more peaceful for having stopped by. Now if you could just move my lumping Great Dane off my foot, all would be good in the world!!
:-)
BB

steviewren said...

Perfect weekend...rest, people you love, fun and refreshment from the Lord.

Lydia said...

So glad that you had a nice weekend. It is good to have people in your life that can help you be centered. What a blessing.

PaintedPromise said...

no matter how bad things seem, it doesn't take long at all to find someone who has it worse... i find it kinda sick that i feel this way, but it does make me feel better. lots of days it is hard to find any more good in my world than, it could be worse. {whine} geez this is not coming out like i meant it to lol. concentrate on the positive! yeah, that's what i meant {eyes rolling at myself}

i am blessed to have "best friends i never met" like you... and no matter what kind of day i have, i go home to my dogs and donkeys and they keep me sane!!