Monday, August 17, 2009

Take it easy

Friday was my fall apart day. By Friday night, I was feeling a little embarrassed about the whole thing. I'd been pushing myself physically, at work. I'd been staying up late to entertain company. I was in pain, and privately trying to deal with my own fears. Cara was trying to deal with her own fears, prepare to head back to school, and both of us, overstressed, tired, and worried, fell apart. She, because she was concerned about me, me, because I didn't know how to 'fix it' for her. Going to the Cancer Center and getting some questions answered was the right thing to do.

Although I had planned to set some traps over the weekend, I did not. I decided to take it easy. Tim and I went to watch stock car football. Laughter is the best medicine, and I got a heaping dose of it. We sat with a group of friends, and we are a funny bunch of people. We all laughed ourselves stupid. It was also scary. Luke, our friends' son, flipped his car. He didn't get out of the car for a heartstopping time. "Mary," I said, "maybe you'd better go down there..." and about the time that she handed me her camera, and began to head down the bleachers, Luke climbed out of the upside down car, and leaped up on the undercarriage, throwing his hands up in the air to show that he was okay. They rolled his car back onto its wheels, and then, almost immediately, his teammate, Pete, flipped his. Since Luke's team had won the previous two years, they had become the team to beat. Their opponents were driving aggressively, and 'the Red, White, and Blue' was responding aggressively. The final round had the two top teams coming back for the Superbowl, and as I watched, I said, "Gees. These teams are out to win." The crowd loved it, and Luke's team did win, for the third straight year. It was almost a relief when it was done, because it started to get scary.


We drove Cara back to college. She's hired by the college to be one of the people in charge of the dorms. She's called an RA, gets a free room from the college that she does not have to share. That will be nice for her. Plus they pay her for 11 hours of work a week, so she'll have a weekly income. That will be nice too.


I worry about her tendency toward dark colors.
Do you suppose she's depressed?

She's got a couple weeks before her students move in. I don't think she's in any hurry to unpack. She's going to take it easy too.

10 comments:

quid said...

Very cool. I was an RA in college. By the end of the year, I was able to see foolishness for what it was. :) And, I think I live on in some of the memories of those chicks who actually listened to me. My room that year was bright orange and yellow. I relate, Cara.

quid

WhiteStone said...

You tell Cara that here's another OVCA mom who's rooting for her as she begins another year at school. You tell her that I think she's a super daughter and you tell her that I expect her to hang in their strong in dealing with your cancer. That's what I want from my daughter. And that's what I want Cara to give you. That's the best thing our daughters can do for us.

Bush Babe said...

Ah the excitement of uni... and I wouldn't sweat the dark colours... I recall wearing nothing but black and denim for a couple of years, no jewelry, barely smiling. I wasn't unhappy... just testing out who I was. It's that kinda time... Cara is wise and caring. All will be OK. And she will tell you if it is not.

Hugs y'all!
BB

Debby said...

Oh, BB - I was kidding about the 'dark color' thing. She might wear the occasional black tee-shirt, but her room pops with such color that really, I am not sure how she can sleep in a room that loud. Or on a mattress that thin. Eeeh. No. Our Cara is in fine shape. Her wheels may wobble some times(as do mine) but we both know how to tighten our own lugnuts.

Bush Babe said...

Ah... thought you were referring to what she was wearing!!! The rest of the room, as you say, kinda pops!
:-)

Pam said...

I see our Sam's lamp in the photo! Looks like you shop at Wal-Mart, too!

I think I mentioned he's in Day Treatment at Children's right now for his ODD, ADHD and Anxiety disorders. He's been one scrary 9 year old this past year, especially this summer.

About all that's left after his destructive rages is the bright orange floor lamp and orange comforter on his bed. Oh, and a big purple reading bed pillow.

Good luck to Cara this semester!!!

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

Being an RA is a good thing - congrats to her :o)

Redlefty said...

RedWifey was an RA, too. So I approve. :)

And yeah, those pinks are so bleh. Very dark.

WhiteStone said...

P.S. I really, really like the floor lamp. Cara has good taste in decorating.

Kelly said...

That's great that she gets to be an RA! I think they use the same furniture in colleges all over the world. That bed looks just like the one in my daughter's on-campus apt.

Hope Cara has a great year at school. My younger daughter is a senior this year and gets to be a CL (communications inquiry leader) where she works with incoming freshmen in a specific class. No pay, but good experience.