Thursday, August 20, 2009

Support Group

You know, I've been having a rough time lately. The whole PET scan thing. Cara headed off back to school. Finding out my job is cut. I've been struggling. I try to be positive and patient, but sometimes life just sucks.

I received an e-mail reminding me of the Cancer Support Group meeting tonight. On the spur of the moment, I decided to go. I'd met the leader before, at the Relay for Life. She was glad to see me. As I began to meet people, my name was recognized from the paper. Turns out, my phrase 'every good thing in my life has only been made better by cancer' had stuck in people's minds. They agreed that it was true.

We talked about a lot of truths. When it was done, I walked out of there chatting with everyone as if I'd known them a hundred years. I am still losing my job. I still have the uncertainty of cancer hanging over my head. I still have children I am concerned about. Listening to their concerns about their upcoming PET scans helped. Listening to the stories of other mothers, that helped too. A lost job? Eh. Not really such a big deal compared to some of the things you can lose along the way in cancer-land. And you know what? It was very good to be reminded of these things.

8 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm glad you went to the meeting. Sounds like it was just what you needed right now.

steviewren said...

Like minded people can be such a blessing. I'm glad you got your blessing tonight.

Mrs. Spit said...

There were times when our dead baby support group kept us sane. Most people can't laugh at the insanity that is life, but oh, when you can. . .

WhiteStone said...

You may think bravery is over-rated but I think you are a pretty darn gutsy brave woman! As well as being a blessing to so many, including me.

Caroline said...

My weekly support group helped save my sanity for the two years I went. When living in cancer land they can be essential.

Pam said...

Support groups can be very helpful, if only on an emotional level.

I'm part of an online support group of mothers/grandmothers of children with Pediatric bipolar disorder. I learn alot from them and we can vent to each other about life, kids, kids docs, meds, school, etc.

I'm glad you went to the meeting.

Roxanne said...

So glad you got to go to the group. Sometimes it's nice to just hear others going through their trials. Blessings to you.

quid said...

Support groups got me through parenting OCD in the '90's and early 2000's. And CHADD was a lifeline when the kids were small. Although, after 6 years in CHADD, I found I no longer got anything out of it, I was just the leaning post for the multitudes who were joining.

quid