Thursday, August 27, 2009

Life's Funny Like That

We don't laugh because we're happy -- we're happy because we laugh. William James

But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown. Carl Sagan

So many tangles in life are ultimately hopeless that we have no appropriate sword other than laughter. Gordon Allport

Nothing shows a man's charactor more than what he laughs at. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose. ~Woody Allen

Man, when you lose your laugh you lose your footing. ~Ken Kesey


Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. -- Mark Twain

You can't deny laughter; when it comes, it plops down in your favorite chair and stays as long as it wants. ~Stephen King, Hearts in Atlantis

Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had gonorrhea. ~Kat Likkel and John Hoberg, My Name Is Earl, "Robbed a Stoner Blind," original airdate 16 November 2006

Today in the grocery store, I ran into an acquaintance. Before too long, we were both laughing heartily. In the midst of that, she suddenly stopped. "You're very inspiring," she said. Going from laughter to seriousness that quickly left me at a loss of what to say next. "No matter what," she continued, "You're going to find something to laugh about. It doesn't matter how bad things get, you'll find something hilariously funny about it. No matter what, you'll have everyone around you laughing right along with you." August has been kicking my butt. I thought maybe my sense of humor had headed off on vacation or something, so it was good to hear that it had not deserted me after all.

Tomorrow I will hand over my keys and walk out of the office for the last time. I will come home, collect my salad, and then without delay, I will head to the house of a friend. Other friends will be there. We will eat and visit, tell each other stories, slap the table, wipe our eyes, laugh until we are gasping for breath. Laughter is best when it not only comes from within us, but from around us, when it fills the air, and our hearts, and our minds. When you're completely enveloped in laughter, it does not matter what's going on in your life. You are lifted completely above it on the laughter of your friends.

9 comments:

quid said...

You are. Inspiring. Have a great day tomorrow.

New look to the blog. Very stark.

Think colorful thoughts.

Hugs,

quid

Bush Babe said...

Couldn't have said it better myself.
And I think your own quote (the last two sentences esp) are actually the best lines in that whole post!!
:-)
BB

Debby said...

Quid, I got that BB working on the stark. I tried to myself, and failed miserably.

jeanie said...

I just came to your blog and 'Salina saw your blog title. She thinks of you as our friend but she had never seen it - and has been singing happily the title over and over (while making tea bag pockets out of paper because she was inspired - go figure).

See - even from afar you can generate smiles and giggles.

quid said...

Deb -

I think we may have given birth to a phrase:

"working on the stark"

I'm gonna do that today and I know the day will turn out better for it.

quid

Anonymous said...

Hi, new look, easier to read, I like it. Keep on laughing. Julie

Debby said...

Thanks Julie. I didn't like the boundaries of the old. I have a hard time staying inside the lines, I guess.

Quid - giving birth to a phrase much easier than giving birth. (speaking of which, Redwifey, praying for you!)

Jeanie - I love the idea of Salina singing away (and making tea bags too, clever girl...) Tell her to 'sing it for me, as well'. One other note: I think of you all as my friends as well. Tell her that!

BB - what are you doing commenting on a blog? Get back to work on my banner! *whip cracks*

Kelly said...

Laughter is a wonderful thing. We do lots of it in our family. I've always been accused of being a little "touched".

btw...I think you're very inspiring.

PaintedPromise said...

i so need you right now...

THANK YOU!!!!!