Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Call.

Okey dokey then. I come home to find that there is a message for me on the answering machine from the fine folks at PET scan. They want me to call them back, and leave a toll free number for me to do so. It is after 5, so I decide to call the next morning. I go to bed praying, 'Please oh please oh please, don't postpone this appointment, people.'

I get up this morning and I call.
I call.
I call and I call and I call.
There is no answer. So I go back through the caller ID and get the number of the place as it showed there. I called them, and got an answer. I explained the situation, and before long, I was talking to an earnest young man who explained that they had some questions. Bracing myself to hear that the test was being postponed, I heard instead, "Could you come in early?" My instant and hopeful response was 'Today?' Nope. Still Monday, but two hours earlier. Yeah. I'm kind of okay with earlier. I have to tell you that waiting any longer would have probably killed me. Then he began giving me instructions. There are a lot more of them this time than last time. I write everything down, because really, really, really, I just want this to go perfectly, for them to be able to tell me what is going on, for once and for all. Young 'Earnest' finishes up and brightly says, 'Now, do you have any questions or requests for us?'

Oh.
This is just a little too easy.

"Yes, I do," I said. "Can you NOT find cancer this time around?" He stuttered a little and I burst out laughing. He laughed too, uncertainly. He said, "Let me give you our toll free number just in case you need to get hold of us, and gives me the same number I'd been calling all morning.

15 comments:

WhiteStone said...

I've had the 31st on my mind all week. Well, I've been conscious of the 31st coming up...it is you that I've had on my mind. God bless you. We're hoping to hear good news when this is all said and done. Bless you.

Mrs. Spit said...

I'm hoping they honour your request as well!

Caroline said...

I wold specifically ask the techs that are doing the scan to make sure they don't find any cancer!!! Two hours early isn't a bad thing. Good luck and please let us know.

steviewren said...

Debby, you go girl! Nothing gets in the way of your fine sense of humor. I'm happy along with you that your appointment wasn't put off. We couldn't have taken the wait either.

steviewren said...

ps...I like the new look. I've changed mine a couple of times, but come back to the white background every time. For me it is more restful on my eyes. And with a restful background I'm free to clutter up everything else.

Kelly said...

I'm glad, too, that you get to go in earlier.

Waiting is NEVER any fun!!!

Still praying....

Mikey said...

We're pulling for you girl. At least you haven't lost your sense of humor. Although I would have been ticked at trying for so long to get a person on the phone...

quid said...

Ok, this one might be funnier than the last. This is an auspicious sign that the third phase of your planet is in alignment with your moon and stars ... or some kinda crap like that.

Anyway, yeah... PET scan. Finally around the corner. Lots of good thought aimed at you from around the planet that day. Some of them mine.

quid

Bob said...

Joining with all the others, praying.

Pam said...

Debs, I WILL be thinking about you Monday!!!

Hal Johnson said...

Count me in your corner too, Debby.

Bush Babe said...

Gosh don't ya HATE those toll-free non-answered numbers... seriously, you wouldn;t mind PAYING if someone would just answer the phone already!! With ya on Monday Deb... as you know. And marvelling at your humour - you are amazing... will try and get to our project tonight (off to Pony Club shortly!)
:-)
BB

JJ said...

I'm praying!

Roxanne said...

I just keep lifting you up in prayer, Debby. I think I would be a basket case by now. Your sense of humor is amazing. Hugs. xoxoxo

PaintedPromise said...

anxiously awaiting your post about today... and so sorry that i missed your call and that you missed mine back...