Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Bring on September

The month of August has been a long one. It is a very happy thing for me to look at the calendar and see that it is winding to a close. Next week, September begins.

IMPORTANT EDIT:
Nothing Gold Can Stay
(Robert Frost)

Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

I turned down a dirt road last week, and the sun, struggling to shine through the heavy cloud cover, cast a golden glow to the road. It was cool. The road actually looked golden. I drove along marvelling over the color. It didn't last long, but that's life, isn't it? We ramble along on our respective roads, and sometimes, for a minute, everything is golden. Those golden moments never last, but, luckily, our memories of them are forever.

10 comments:

Bush Babe said...

Which is exactly WHY you need to carry a camera... of course your words are pretty darned good too!!!
:-)
BB

Bush Babe said...

Which is exactly WHY you need to carry a camera... of course your words are pretty darned good too!!!
:-)
BB

Bush Babe said...

Which is exactly WHY you need to carry a camera... of course your words are pretty darned good too!!!
:-)
BB

Bush Babe said...

I DID NOT PRESS "GO" THREE TIMES... did not either!

WhiteStone said...

Bush Babe makes a good point. LOL. I like the poem. Author? You? I'm not thinking of September until we finish out August. Nope! Not gonna do it. No, I say, No!

steviewren said...

As always Debby, your words are golden and insightful.

Lydia said...

That is my all time favorite poem. I guess it was the only one I could ever wrap my head around enough to memorize. Thank you, Robert Frost (Debby, too!)

Mrs. Spit said...

That's one of my favourite pieces of poetry. I make a point of reading it on my birthday.

Debby said...

No, White Stone, not me. (see clarification). In my rush to slap together a post this morning, it never occurred to me that the author wasn't credited. I apologize, Robert Frost!

*slinks off redfaced*

PaintedPromise said...

no need to be redfaced Deb! copy and paste is not always perfect ;) and as humans neither are we, so we don't always catch it!

BTW i love the poem too... but i love your description of the road even more. you and Katie (from Saving Argus) both transport me right to where you are with your words...

i sure wish i could write like that!