Thursday, July 23, 2009

Revenge of the Bullies

Yesterday, I told you about Earl. Bush Babe said, "bet the bullies all gave you some space after that!" Nope, actually not. The bullies got their revenge. They convinced Earl that I was in love with him and too shy to talk to him. Earl began to talk to me, and I talked back to him because I felt sorry for him. But he began to follow me everywhere to talk, and finally he got down on one knee in front of my locker and asked me to marry him and gave me a plastic ring from a gumball machine. The halls were packed and everyone was laughing, the bullies the loudest of all. I cried again. From embarrassment that time (and it shames me how embarrassed I was), and because I felt so bad to tell Earl no, and hurt his feelings.

Our high school was very small, but very mean. And you know what, folks...high schools are still pretty mean.

5 comments:

Bush Babe said...

Bummer... but another great chapter in your book Deb. Doncha think??

WhiteStone said...

Yeah, they're still mean. And there are mean adults, too, and thoughtless ones. Sometimes it pains me how thoughtless I am, like I'll never get thoughtful. It's painful to see that in myself.

BK said...

Not my school... Just one of the GREAT things about homeschooling.

Mary Paddock said...

Meanness really isn't age related. Those who don't work out how wrong it is through one channel or another become unpleasant adults. They just get better at disguising it.

Blicky Kitty said...

Oh high school. groan... I always wonder how much people's lives are affected by their high school years and whether we're still living out the same patterns.