Friday, July 17, 2009

The Rest of the Story

So, Cara was driving down the highway when her car began to shake violently. She was decelerating, when suddenly, she saw something shoot off her left side. It registered, with a scream, that it was her left front tire and it was headed in the opposite direction that she was. She immediately steered the car off the road. Her friend, Tommy, had just had brake failure, and someone explained, after the fact, that he should have 'geared down' to stop the car. Cara began to drop the car into low gear, and brake. She stopped the car. The police came, and they called the tow truck. She said, "The man was huge, and old, and long haired, no teeth. He scared me to death. And the police said, 'Okay, you just go with him.' Mom, I was so scared. I got in the truck and I thought, 'This is how I'm going to die.'" But the man not only took her to a gas station, he gave her a break on the charges. He was really very nice. Cara was waiting for her brother to get off work and come for her, when another man walked up, a trucker. Cara said, "Oh, mom, this guy was as scary looking as the first." He said, "So your wheel came clean off?" Cara: "Yep." Long story short. The guy was waiting for his next haul, which was late. He had three hours to kill. He and Cara went back, scoured the brush along the road and found Cara's tire. They also found a cell phone, power still on, two missed calls. They left it at the service station where her car was, to be picked up by the owners. But I digress. This man fixed her car. He was afraid that the rim might be bent, so he took the tire off the back, and put it on the front, and put the wheel that had taken a vacation on the back. He examined her brakes, and drove the car. Had her drive the car. Looked it over good, tightened the lugs nuts on all the wheels yet again. His fee? "I'm thirsty. You can buy me a Pepsi." He explained it to Cara like this: "The people that I haul for are Christians, and they are always doing nice things for people. I think I was supposed to meet you today. That's why my load is late."

Cara says, "I will never, ever judge a book by its cover again.

Mom bows her head and says, "Dear God, thank you for men who drive trucks."

11 comments:

Pencil Writer said...

Amen.

Mrs. Spit said...

Pencil writer beat me to it.

Thanks for posting good news today, I sorely needed it. And I'm so glad that Cara was so cared for today.

jeanie said...

Aww - I cried at the beautiful story. And so happy about the post 2 ago - all thoughts still for the all clear signal.

corymbia said...

This story made me laugh out loud ... you see, my hubby is a bearded man who looks very similar to a famous Australian Bushranger of the 1800s ... and his brother looks the same only BIGGER. I've often said that if I didn't know them, I'd cross the street to avoid them.
But they each have hearts of gold and are both gifted mechanics and often stop to help stranded motorists.

Debby said...

Well, God bless them too, Corymbia. It's a smart woman who has the sense to marry her mechanic. Mine and I have worked out a good barter system. Saved me a fortune. :^D

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

Great story, there are good people out there :o)

WhiteStone said...

Oh, how we appreciate those good people who help (love) our children! There truly are scary people out there but, thank God, there are good people, too.

Daria said...

Pretty amazing ....

RedWifey said...

Hebrews 13:2 came immediately to mind. I don't think you have to "entertain" to occasionally run into angels. God bless those two bearded men who blessed Cara's day! But holy moly, I'd have been scared too!

So, who didn't screw the lugnuts on tight enough????? Akkk! What a scary story. Reminds me of when Michael was driving down the freeway and his engine shut him down to 1st and 2nd gear only. Not good!

Glad she's okay!

Kelly said...

Wow! What a great story!!!

God is so good.

PaintedPromise said...

angels among us...