Saturday, July 25, 2009

Reasonable

We went to the local Lowe's store today. Tim has no one to blame but himself for what happened next. Tim sent me out to the garden center to check and see if mulch was on sale yet. It wasn't. But they had gallon containers of salvia and bee balm and loads of other potted plants on sale. A buck apiece. $1.37 for the huge pots of heather. I even found boxwood shrubs on sale for the unbelievable price of $3.50, marked down from nearly thirty. I tried to be good. Really, I did. Tim kept saying reasonable things like, "We don't have room for this in the car," and "We could come back tomorrow..." I kept saying reasonable things like, "Tim look at these prices. They won't BE here tomorrow," and "Tim, these are all perennials. You plant them once." Reasonable won. I got about $150 worth of perennials for $18.52, and the Intrigue looked like a greenhouse on wheels.

Our first stop was one of the houses downtown where I had dug out an entire truckload of hostas last month. It was so hugely overgrown that you couldn't even see the nice little evergreen hedge. Once I got the hostas dug out, the little evergreen hedge looked quite charming, set off like it was by the vast and empty expanse of dirt in front. Even though we had worked all day on an apartment, I reasonably explained to Tim that since it was going to rain (again! heavens, will it ever stop?), now was the perfect time to get the new plants in the ground. Being reasonable like he is, he flopped down on the porch to watch. I happily went to work with the spade.

When I was done, it looked very nice, if I do say so myself. Even Tim had to agree. That made me feel a lot less guilty about the plants left over. (I misjudged, okay?!!!) The ones that I had no choice but to bring on home. After all, it was the only reasonable thing to do.

13 comments:

WhiteStone said...

Oh, My! You're another one of those impulse buyers....just like my Jim! I never, ever take him with me to the grocery store if I can help it. And it is a constant battle, whenever he excitedly looks at some impulse purchase, to remind him that "Yah! But....". We have a yahbut relationship, Jim and I.

Debby said...

Yahbut, Judy, they were on saaaaaaaaaale!

Anonymous said...

And of course you did not realise you would over estimate what you would reasonably NEED did you? Of couse not, as any sensible person would know, wouldn't they? On Sale too? Yes, of course, yes, yes, yesssss to everything. And did Tim get what he really needed too at Lowe's? And you do need rain for things to grow - so what better time to buy stuff? Love Barb

Karen said...

Seems reasonable to me, they were practially giving them away.

Mrs. Spit said...

You simply cannot leave plants that are that deeply discounted, behind. It would be plant abuse. I'm sure of it. Very sure of it.

Mrs. Spit said...

But, we aren't going to talk about the things I bet you can grow in your USDA Zone, that I could only dream about up here in zone 3.

jeanie said...

I am sorry - I can't see ANY problem with any of your actions at all.

Debby said...

*emotional sniffle*

Man! You folks are just the best!

Debby said...

Mrs Spit. 'Plant Abuse'. I could use that. I've bought plants before because they looked depressed. One rewarded me by becoming one of those plants that give me a hernia pulling it out onto the deck every summer, and then pulling it back into the house every fall. If that does not say gratitude, I don't know what does.

steviewren said...

Nice move Deb! Tell Tim that there is nothing like fresh flowers to spruce up an old yard. You were just paying attention to curb appeal and all that stuff.

Redlefty said...

Women and their reasonableness!

RedWifey found all sorts of sales last week. I'm not sure we can afford to "save" like that very often! :)

Lydia said...

So glad I'm not alone in the buying plants dept this week! Got several lavender and hen&chick plants for about 4 dollars total. LOVED IT!

Bob said...

I loved this. It's definitely the Mars and Venus thing.