Thursday, July 9, 2009

Rattlesnake

I am a bit phobic about snakes. Slightly. Yesterday, when I was scampering down a rocky bank, snakes went flying in all directions. Ew. I stopped dead, took a deep breath and waited on them to get out of my way. I then continued on with what I was doing. I'm actually pretty impressed to learn just how much I can control my 'fear'. I do have to tell you though, one day, I was wearing 'crocs'. I thought that they would be a good thing. My feet are invariably wet, and crocs seemed like an answer to that. Seemed like it. I discovered that crocs are slippery when wet, and furthermore, when I meet a large snake, I much, MUCH prefer to be wearing my workboots which come up over my ankles. Anyhoo, like I said, I've gotten pretty sensible about snakes.

Well, for the first time, I was reaching into the brush and I heard a raspy, buzzy sort of sound. I froze. We do have rattlesnakes here. I tend to avoid places where they might be. At home, we have copperheads from time to time, but I've never seen a rattlesnake. Very cautiously, I pulled my hands back and waited. The noise continued. I realized that the gusty wind bringing in (more) rain was blowing large thorny branches against the side of a tree, making that strange scrapey sound. I have never had that happen before. I am proud to say that even though I was startled, and jumped just a little, I did not wet myself, not even a little. Fear can be controlled, and that is a good thing to know.

7 comments:

WhiteStone said...

"I did not wet myself". LOL. That made me giggle. Fortunately we do not have poisonous snakes where we live. They say there are rattlers in the hills north of us 50 miles but not here. The boots are a lot sturdier and a good idea. Did you get around to putting mink oil on them?

Beth said...

That made me laugh too, thanks!

Kelly said...

I've seen the occasional rattler, but mostly we have copperheads and water moccasins (cotton mouths).

I'm not really afraid of snakes, but I still give one a fairly wide berth until I figure out if it's poisonous or not.

Glad you didn't wet yourself (or anything else), LOL! I'd stick with the boots.

Bush Babe said...

What Deb... no Depend? Do I need to send some more? I take some credit in the non-wetting Department you know - all that exposure to Gerard the Goanna a little while ago... heh.

Proud of ya!

BB
PS Have just learned to do hearts... bear with me!

Mary Paddock said...

I spent most of my childhood in Texas, the supposed home of the rattlesnake so I was taught young what to listen for and to watch where I was stepping at all times. You know, when you're a kid, locusts sound a lot like rattles?

Glad you managed to maintain bladder control. :)

rhubarbwhine said...

I'm glad you didn't wet yourself - cos I would have! Funny :)

quid said...

We're all atwitter with the python problem here in Florida. It seems that people buy them as pets and dump them in the Everglades when they get too large. They are in the process of reducing the alligator population there.

Sigh. And then there was the story of the pet white python this week that got out of his container and killed a small girl in her sleep. I just can't figure why people have them as pets (and my kids each had them, so go figure).

Snakes. Spiders. Yuck.

quid