Sunday, July 5, 2009

Pure Pleasure

At church today, our newest parents brought in their new born twins. Born two months premature, they are still tiny. And when they went up for communion, the father handed Molly to the young man in front of me. "Me, me, me, me!" I said, and the mother handed me Emily. Even though I have held my new nephew Brady, and my new grand niece Abby Joy, neither of them were as wee as baby Emily. I marveled at her exquisite tiny-ness, and her perfect fingers, and her perfect little mouth. And when we stood to sing the closing hymn, it must have pleased her, because she smiled, the otherworldly smile of a sound asleep baby. And my heart was lost to the pleasure of that small moment.

Wouldn't you know? Jen and Steve wanted her back...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Small moment, great pleasure. Wonderful post. Thanks DavidM

http://www.krha.nhs.uk/ER/18211.jpg

jeanie said...

Awww!

I still haven't seen my cousin's new twins, but newbys are so gorgeous, aren't they?

Mrs. Spit said...

Ahh, but would you have wanted her at 3 am?

Debby said...

Oh, Mrs. Spit, at that moment, yes. Now that I sit here groggy and stupid at one, well...you've got a point, ya big party pooper you!

The Factory said...

I have a tiny niece, just three weeks old. Precious little thing.

Dennis Pyritz, RN said...

Special invitation to all breast cancer bloggers. This month the Being Cancer Book Club is reading “The Adventures of Cancer Bitch” by S. L. Wisenberg, “witty and relentless, surprising and honest. Wisenberg has walked through the Valley of Cancer and she is willing to tell all; this is a cornucopia of breast cancer information as well as a very smart, funny read from an excellent writer."—Audrey Niffenegger, author, The Time Traveler’s Wife.
Book discussions are in Mondays’ posts. Take care, Dennis

Karen said...

I always experience a little hormone surge from holding little babies like that. Just wait until they are your grandchildren.