Saturday, July 11, 2009

High Wire Act

This is a strange time. The biopsy weighs on my mind. At the same time, there is a disbelief about the whole thing. Surely this cannot be cancer. Surely. But this internal dialogue always ends with this one thing. It happened to Mary. Three months after finishing radiation, she had cancer again. It can happen. Will it happen to me? Surely not. Surely. But it could. But it probably isn't. So I walk this fine line of faith, much like a circus performer, my arms outstretched, wobbling a bit, but (so far at least) I have not fallen.

I'm glad for that.

Yesterday though, I realized (again) that even if I do fall, I have a wonderful safety net to catch me. I received a hand stamped card, a work of art really, a whimsical picture of two mice frolicking beneath a downspout of pouring water. "Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain". Yes. I am reminded again that some of the biggest blessings of my life have come during this very difficult winter. "A friend loveth at all times" was the proverb inside. I don't know what happens next, but I have many friends. If I lose my balance, there will always be someone to catch me, and help me stand back up. No matter what, I know that I am blessed by my friends who loveth at all times.

It is another weekend of celebration at our house. My nephew's wedding is today. Dylan is home from Fleetwood for the festivities. Family picnic tomorrow. Dylan went out to inspect my pond with a flashlight last night...and Bawly and Ghostly came to the surface. My $14.00 worth of fish live still. My cute little frog is still there. Three chance meetings left me gasping in shock this week, but incredibly, incredibly grateful. I will tell you about them another time, but I have to tell you, in addition to my friends, I am blessed by a God who loveth at all times as well.

How do people endure hard times without faith, without friends?

15 comments:

Lydia said...

So glad that you are sitting in a place of faith. He is certainly holding you under his wings.

I hope you enjoy your weekend with loved ones.

steviewren said...

That is a good question Debby. How do they? Praying for the best possible news.

Kelly said...

You've been on my mind a lot this week. I've been praying and will continue to do so.

Hey, Bawly and Ghostly are still alive.... it's a good sign!

I've often pondered the same questions about faith and friends, Debby.

Bush Babe said...

I hope I am part of the mesh in that safety net, dear Deb. I am very busy not making a big deal of tomorrow for you... and instead doing my pathetic best to entertain at my place. Even seen a Dane chased by a puddy-tat? Ridiculous.

Pleased Bawly/Bawldy and Ghostly are still kicking...

BB

Anonymous said...

Hi Deb I have been thinking of you all this week - and will next week too. It is a tense time but you are also good at living in each moment and giving thanks for its blessings and for your loving family and friends that want to make an umbrella for you. I have been up a few test journeys that have - so far fortunately - turned out just fine. Many do and I pray yours does too.

Have a lovely time this weekend and travel strong and light tomorrow and know our thoughts go with you. Love and hugs Barb

Daria said...

Thinking of you and hoping for the best results.

quid said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend, Debby. I have thought of you constantly since you mentioned the new "spot" (out, damned spot!).

As it happens, one of my best friends, in recovery these 6 years from Non-Hodgkins lymphoma has agreed with a new doctor to a 6 part course of chemo over the next 3 weeks to arrest the "pop" of a couple of nodes and a slight increase in the size of his spleen. I'll be with him on Monday to take him to infusion and back. It's the least I can do...he's as inspirational as you are. I'm crossing my fingers for good news for you.

quid

Hal Johnson said...

Thinking of you, and praying for you. But mostly, I'm expecting to hear good news, Debby.

Scotty said...

How do people endure hard times without faith, without friends?
Well, as a 'faithless' person myself, I can tell you that it is possible (*smile*) - without friends, though? That's another matter entirely. Like yourself, I am very grateful for the number of friends who have been with me through some rough times in my life.

jeanie said...

Deb - no matter the outcome today (and I am putting in as many good words to the powers that be as possible about that) know that we are all here willing for your journey to be towards good health and strength.

rhubarbwhine said...

As always, thinking of you and crossing everything I own and more. Wish there was more I could say or do without sounding trite. Hugs xx

Bush Babe said...

In response to your last line... I think we all find our own support structure (whether it is religious or something closer to self).

Completely agree with Scotty that friends are what get us through and provide that safety net.

And you have plenty of friends Deb.
Hugs
BB

Karen said...

Thinking about you today and including you in morning prayers.

Bob said...

Oh my, Debby, where would we be without our safety nets? Not only those wonderful friends He has given you, but also His Everlasting Arms. How can you/we lose?

Prayers and blessings; blessings and prayers.

corymbia said...

I'm thinking good thoughts and including you in our prayers.