Saturday, July 18, 2009

Can't Sleep




Well I hit the rowdy road and many kinds I met there
Many stories told me on the way to get there
So on and on I go, the seconds tick the time out
There's so much left to know, and I'm on the road to find out

- Cat Stevens

A friend sent me an e-mail that began with this lyric from Cat Stevens. It discussed the importance of collecting the stories of others, that in listening to their stories, this is how we come to know them, this is how we come to love them.

I was so intrigued by the little e-mail that I looked up the video. I've been thinking of my own life on 'the rowdy road'. I learned lessons there, I met fascinating people there. Say what you will about me, but I am a person who listens to the stories of others. I have been blessed by them. I am a person with stories of her own. I am fortunate enough to hear that others feel blessed by them. I can't think of anything more satisfying than that.

I have marched to my own truths, and to my own conscience. I am not perfect, but I am good. I have picked my own path and found my own way. I am content in my life, content with my dreams.

Ultimately, is this not what we raise our children to do? To think and set their own courses? And maybe, if they speak about God working in their lives, about the peace that this has brought them to face difficult times, perhaps it should be enough simply to rejoice.

No comments: