Sunday, June 21, 2009

Today was a nice day. I got a lot of housework done, baked a shepherd's pie for lunch, and talked to a friend from Michigan. His wife died recently, and I was worried about him. Out of the blue, I received a card from him, and a picture he had taken of yellow ladyslippers (we've only seen pink before. Reading his letter, he's had a very rough time of it, but, like me, he's discovered the healing peace of long periods spent tramping about the woods with your eyes wide open. I immediately called him on the phone and spent a pleasant hour visiting while continuing to clean. (Remember the 'olden days' when you had to stay in one place to talk to the phone?)

We went to Johnsonburg this afternoon. Tim's brother waited a long time to marry, but he found a wonderful woman and got married when he was forty. Today, I watched little Brady get baptized, a strapping boy with big feet and big hands. Dawn looks tired (but far better than the last time we saw her), but she has a glow about her. I gave her a hug and told her the same thing that I had told Norm the night before: Dawn looks like a woman who's had every dream she's ever had come true. She still looks that way. Norm held the baby so carefully, and I loved that he could not stop looking at him. By the end of it all, I decided that Norm also looked like a man who's had every dream he ever had come true. A new family. I was teary eyed with happiness for all of us.

Leaving that ceremony, I saw, one street over, a bride and groom posing for pictures on the front steps of one of the historic buildings. They looked pretty happy too. Two different ceremonies, two rites of passages, life changes. Unaccountably, I found myself getting teary eyed all over again. Life really is beautiful, isn't it?

Today's symptom seems to be pain in the hands and feet. I got carsick in the one hour ride to Johnsonburg and got carsick on the one hour ride back. I am starting to think that I will never sleep again. I am exhausted, actually sick with it, but it is 2:18. I have not yet fallen asleep. I guess the only bright spot that I can think of for that is that, at least, I'm not having bizarre dreams.

6 comments:

Bush Babe said...

Gosh Deb... sending you some peaceful thoughts and gentle hugs. I would sing you "Morning Town Ride" if I was there - works for my kiddos! Either that or they pretend to sleep to make me stop!
:-)
BB

WhiteStone said...

Yes, life really is beautiful. Such simple things affect me with tears. Weddings and babies. Lovely life. Glad that the bizarre symptoms seem to be tapering.

Daria said...

I hate the bad dreams too but not sleeping really is awful.

It sounds like you had a lovely day ... thank goodness for that.

Pam said...

Your post today gave me a really good, uplifting feeling! :)

Sorry for the painful symptoms.

I can empathise to some degree about the pains. At my age, ALL my joints ache!! :) Actually, I think I've got a stress fracture in my right foot; think I've had it for a few weeks. Walking has gone from painful to agonizing. I broke down and made an appointment for tomorrow morning to see what gives. Too busy to slow down for long.

Feel better, my friend!!

Bob said...

The message here is that God gives us glimpses of beauty amidst pain. You have an uncanny ability to see that, Debby, and to illustrate it in words.

"Without faith it is impossible to please God."

I know, with you, He is pleased.

Doris said...

I could not sleep last night either,for other reasons. It was my 65th birthday and also fathers day and the first fathers day without my husband. My mind would not be quiet. I got up at 1:30 and took 2 tylenol pm. That finally worked. I wish you the best and I know you will be fine.Your faith and acceptance is contageous.You pass it on to others as well. Love,Doris