Friday, June 5, 2009

The Three Bears

Today a neighbor from one of the houses in town called for the name and phone number of the young man who did our gutter work. Before he hung up, he mentioned, "Oh, and you had a bear up a tree right behind your house today." He related the story. The mother and another cub waited across the creek. "But then," he goes on, "wingnut there, on the corner, you know who I mean, started feeding them sardines and peanut butter, and the mother and the other cub came right across the creek too. I told him you don't want to be feeding the bears, but he don't listen." Fascinating stuff. Not only the bears. We live in the woods and I have yet to see a bear here this season, but we've got them roaming through town. So yeah, that is interesting. But wingnut on the corner, that's pretty interesting too. He's had a pretty volatile relationship with his woman for some time now. Supposedly, he was sick of it and headed to Alaska. Guess he changed his mind, and decided that he could be eaten by bears right here. The neighbor is dead right. You don't want to be feeding the bears.

8 comments:

Caroline said...

If my neighbor was feeding the bears, I might be inclined to see what I could do to prevent this. I would prefer not to have a local bear in residence!

WhiteStone said...

We once lived in bear country in CA. Our pastor's wife awoke one night to continuous noises in the kitchen. She finally stomped down the hall, intending to tell their teen daughters to "get to bed!" Instead she was confronted by a black bear hauling ice cream from her fridge. The bear climbed over the kitchen sink and out an open window. Next day they followed his trail and found bread, ice cream, and more. They moved.

Pencil Writer said...

Yeah, it pretty much takes a genius to feed bears in their own neighborhood, especially. Wow. When does education week start in your neck of the woods?

Sarah said...

Yikes - you have to wonder about some folks Wingnut - giggle!! Hope things are well with you! Namaste, Sarah

Mrs. Spit said...

I come from a small-ish town in BC, Canada. Where we have Moose and Bear, that routinely come into the city. I'll never forget driving down the highway into town, seeing (I'm sorry, American Tourists, on their way to Alaska), out of thier car, trying to get the grizzly bear mama and her 2 cubs to come closer, so they could get a better picture. . .

Roxanne said...

Nothin worse than a mad Mama Bear! Maybe the bear can knock some sense into him:)

Kelly said...

I think I'd try to deter my neighbor from feeding the bears. Not a smart move...

Lori said...

My ex-brother-in-law, living in Florida, began feeding an alligator that lived in a nearby pond. Not the smartest thing to do. My sister called animal control and had them come remove it because there are so many children in the area, and her ex just wouldn't listen to her reasoning.