Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A Post about Nothing

It's probably stupid to have favorite trees, but I do. Most of them are old and gnarled and huge. This one appears to have been struck by lightning at some point. It's a great big tree though.
Wouldn't these branches be neat to climb into?
This is not my favorite tree. My favorite tree appears to be dying. I'll have to get a picture of it the next time I'm in the area. It's my favorite tree because I distinctly remember it as a child, that very tree. It was huge and old then and that was 44 years ago. I used to daydream about it riding by on the way to school on our school bus. This is a killdeer's nest. Yep. The bird makes the nest right on the ground. Sometimes in the darndest places...like, for instance in the middle of a busy driveway. I don't think it's an especially intelligent bird.It defends its nest by simply running off at your approach, dragging its wing and pretending to be wounded. Predators, thinking that it will be easy prey, follow it. When the killdeer thinks that the creature has been led far enough away from the nest, it simply picks up and flies away. Here's mama back on her 'nest'. I imagine that the warm rocks will make the eggs hatch very quickly, like an incubator. I did not want to get closer. These pictures were taken at a gravel heap for a road crew.

10 comments:

Scotty said...

Wouldn't these branches be neat to climb into?
Absolutely - sigh, childhood memories...

:-)

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

What a dodo :o)

Kelly said...

I don't think it's stupid to have favorite trees at all! I can think of several I've been quite fond of over the years. One is a dogwood that I watch for each spring across a big field. The first year my younger daughter could drive alone (and thus make it a surprise), she took a picture of it and framed it for me.

We use to see lots of killdeer when we dovehunted in the Delta. They have distinctive voices, too.

steviewren said...

I used to have a favorite tree. It leaned sideways and was all gnarled. Its branches reminded me of trees in scary movies that lean down and try to get you. I thought it was beautiful. It was cut down for a new subdivision. I took pictures of it too.

Maybe the bird laid the eggs in the rocks so they would be camouflaged there.

WhiteStone said...

If it is stupid to have favorite trees as you mention in your opening sentence, then you can be comforted that this is a rather benign stupidity. LOL. In regards to favorite trees I kinda liked the Ents, a rather humanoid tree race in J. R. R. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. That fellow Tolkien must have been one genius of a guy.

Caroline said...

I had a favorite tree growing up that I used to climb all the time. The tree is still in front of my parents house but I haven't climbed it in 35 years...

Anonymous said...

"The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing that stands in the way. Some see Nature all ridicule and deformity, and some scarce see Nature at all. But to the eyes of the man of imagination, Nature is Imagination itself".
- William Blake, 1799, The Letters

You have a favourite tree because you're a woman of imagination, a writer.

DavidM

Funny how some birds are really stupid and some are very intelligent. Despite being a symbol for 'wisdom' because of the 'forward looking eyes' owls are not very intelligent.

I remember watching a documentary about these crow-like black birds that lived in a major German city (from memory I think it was Cologne) anyway, these birds would take nuts from a tree. The nuts' shells were to hard for the birds to crack with their beaks;so, the birds would fly to a nearby busy intersection, drop the nuts on the road, wait until the nuts had been run over by car, and then they would wait until the traffic lights turned red, and then they would fly down, walk across the road, and get their nuts-which is pretty smart for wild birds.

Cheers, David

Debby said...

I agree. Very smart for any bird. Nature is quite amazing, with all of her checks and balances. Everything works, unless we get in the middle of it and start messing around.

Redlefty: You still sleep in the same bed as Redwifey, correct? Even though she's in her last trimester, it's going to be a long couple months if you don't dare close your eyes.

Scotty, lying in bed before I dozed off. I decided. I am going back to climb that tree. Why should it be something only children do?

Yes, BB, I'll take a picture.

Bush Babe said...

Gads... I haven't even commented, and you're replying to me. Or trying to shut me up. Won't work.

I too adore trees. Not ALL trees indiscriminantly. Some trees. Big trees - ancient blue gums, gnarly ironbarks, stout bottle trees, complicated knotty fig trees, elegant sprawling poincianas... *sigh*. Sorry. Did you say something?

Oh yes. For goodness sake woman. Take a photo already!!
:-)
BB
(nice post BTW. And intriguing bird. Sounds like some people I know!)

Daria said...

As usual ... love the pictures ... pretty amazing looking eggs.