Monday, June 1, 2009

Here's a first...


My hair is growing back. It's iron gray. It's very short. I cannot stand the wig at all any more. I wear a hat when I'm at work, but pretty much the rest of the time I just go with what I got. It's short, I hate it, but in the great scheme of things, it's really not a big deal. So I tell myself.

Everyone is fascinated with my hair. The thing that I hear most often is 'Ooooh. I just want to touch it.' I get petted more than my dog.

Friday, I was standing in the line at Subway, patiently waiting to order a veggie sub. I was hot and tired. It was nearly 4 and I hadn't eaten yet that day. I still had what ended up to be four hours of work in front of me. A woman walked by with such beautiful hair. It went all the way to her butt. It was a shiny sleek river down her back. It was just gorgeous hair. I was suddenly overcome with such a longing, and I couldn't help staring. I realized that the woman with her (her mother?) was glaring at me with such hostility that it startled me. I was pretty tired, and I didn't figure it out, not right away. She thought I was a lesbian.


I'm trying so hard to be patient, but dear God, how I do want hair...

15 comments:

Roxanne said...

Your hair looks like it's got dark hair in it also. Maybe it will change with a bit of time. I know what you mean about staring at the lady with hair. I've often caught myself wondering if these people have any idea how lucky they are to have hair or if they just complain about how much time it takes to fix it.

Sarah said...

Oh hon - to post such a piece of longing and to end with such a giggle - thank you!! You look wonderful with short hair!! It must be something like when you're pregnant - people pat your belly - yikes!! It will grow!!! Hugs, Sarah

Hal Johnson said...

Y'mean you don't like short gray hair? Sheesh, I'm considering taking my profile pic down!

I think your hair looks kinda cool, actually. But then, since when do women care about what men think? Har.

You're lookin' good, m'lady.

steviewren said...

How sheepish that woman would feel if she knew what you were really thinking about her daughter's hair. Gotta laugh at that one.

I'm glad your hair is on the way back.

Mary Paddock said...

And to think there are women who go to beauticians to get your look (the short gray)! However I understand the longing. The good news is--it will grow!

jeanie said...

Ah well, nothing wrong with being considered a lesbian by judgemental people, I say - brightens up their world to look askance at some.

I think it looks great!!

Lesley said...

Deb, I understand completely how you feel about your hair. Mine is very slowly coming back too. It's about 1/4-1/2 of an inch. But it is definitely NOT growing fast enough. I rarely wear my wig either. It's too hot and makes the back of my neck itch something fierce. I keep telling myself too that it will grow back.... but it's sure taking it's time about it!!! UGH!!!!! haha Hang in there!! *hugs*

Bush Babe said...

You made me almost spit my coffee at the final par - I hope it made you smile too!! Did you have your leather jacket on too, to complete the look?

It will grow again. Maybe not exactly the same as before, but it will grow. I just love that you shared these pics Deb - you look fine. Your eyes of course always take centre stage... I bet people who don't know you barely notice your hair. Just those eyes!!
Hugs
BB

Karen said...

You are rocking that new hair, wear it
proudly. You look beautiful.

Kelly said...

Hey, I LIKE the short gray look!

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Redlefty said...

I feel a connection with lesbians. We both are attracted to women.

But they can multitask, which my boy brain does not allow.

mommamia said...

You look beautiful. Your eyes are wonderful. They are the first think I noticed. Peple will find something to pinpoint on. Just hold your head high and smile.

Daria said...

I bet you want to burn that wig ... they are awful aren't they.

Caroline said...

welcome to sheep's butt hair!!! But yes it will get better. I got a cut after mine was a little longer than yours is now. It took off the stragglies and trimmed off some of the gray. A year later I have normal hair.

Cassie said...

You would make a hot looking Lesbian :o) Smile and just work it.