Monday, June 8, 2009

Daydreaming

Today was a busy day. I got information on for Rob and his son on public transportation for the wheelchair bound. Tim will take it with him tomorrow morning when he goes to work on the house. He told me that Rob came out of the nursing home and made straight for the house. That tickled me. When I called Mr. K to tell him to stop and talk to Tim, that we had some papers for him to fill out, he sounded very glad.

I went to Erie to get my dry ice. It's an hour and a half trip there, and back. I spent the rest of the day setting traps. It was a warm day, muggy, with a breeze blowing in the rain due that afternoon. I tramped though the fields and woods setting my traps, driving from site to site. At one point, I had a long walk to a wet area at the back of a farmers field. I trudged through a knee high field of grass. There were flowers too - daisies, and indian paint brushes, and clover, and phlox, a multitude tiny little flowers that, as a child, I used to pretend fairies slipped out at dusk to pick them for their little fairy tables in their charming fairy homes. I took a second to drop down into the grass and hug my knees to my chest, and just listen to the wind softly hissing through the grass, and the birds, and the buzzing of fat bees in the clover. I felt that if I closed my eyes, I would continue to hear the same sounds, but open them to find that I was in a different time, maybe wearing a bonnet and a long skirt.

I love when that happens.

3 comments:

WhiteStone said...

When I worked at the conservation office I was always so envious of the employees who spent the day out in the field. They loved it and left the office early as possible and didn't come back till quitting time. Now and then they brought me a consolation bouquet of lilacs from some old farmstead or perhaps a bouquet of sunflowers. Sunflowers make a great bouquet BTW. Then there were summers when we were short handed and I, too, got to take an occasional day out in the field. Did I say I envied them? LOL.
Tonight we sat at dusk in the back yard, listening to the sounds of a quiet Midwest summer evening. Sooooo nice!

steviewren said...

Debby, you have a dream job. I on the other hand sat inside talking to people who had all kinds of excuses for not being able to pay their bills. Such is life.

Lori said...

So do I!