Friday, May 8, 2009

Strange, the things you remember...


I was just browsing through old music tonight. Harry Chapin, Cat Stevens, Bob Dylan, Crosby, Stills and Nash, Neil Young. So many. I came upon Gordon Lightfoot. This song brought back memories. I went to the Shipwreck Museum when I lived in Michigan. I had a baby bird in my purse that I was handfeeding, as if three children and a failing marriage wasn't enough to keep me busy. Strange, the things that you remember. I also remember reading about a ship full of cows that sank on Lake Superior years upon years ago. They did not decay because the bacteria that causes decay that does not exist in water that cold and deep. Without the gasses which form during decomposition, there was nothing to raise them to the surface. That is how a herd of cows remains, to this very day, at the bottom of Lake Superior bobbing lightly on their hooves, a bovine ballet of sorts in the dark, cold waters. Strange, the things you remember.

6 comments:

Bob said...

That song makes me think Jr. High, up in my room listening to the radio, maybe Casey Casom's Top 40. All those other artists too. You're right, strange the things you remember.

Daria said...

I like Gordon Lightfoots music.

Kelly said...

Love most of those names you mentioned. I had a roommate in college that loved Gordon Lightfoot and I can't hear The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald without thinking of her!

That cow story is grossly fascinating. Poor things!

MuseSwings said...

Ooooh those poor creepy cows! I've always like Me and Bobby McGee. I don't feel as though I need to be wearing a life jacket to sing along with that one. Hugs!

quid said...

I never was a Lightfoot fan... strange when you grow up near Canada. It's funny though, because I was thinking of Cat Stevens myself. Check the blog...

quid

JJ said...

I love Gordon Lightfoot, and ohhh do I get teased about it. "If you could read my mind, what a tale my thoughts could tell..." my favroite!