Monday, May 11, 2009

I had the oddest experience. I was a rainbarrel workshop. It was for work. I was presenting the portion on mosquito control. There were enough supplies left over that I was encouraged to make my own rainbarrel, and so I did. I fell into lively chatter with Sylvia, the woman working on her barrel next to me. She recognized me from the paper. Since I am a talker (you may not have noticed), before it was all said and done, I was also chattering away to the fellow on the other side, a white haired fellow with a youthful face and a neatly trimmed beard. We began to swap stories, and soon we were laughing and joking like we'd known each other for a hundred years. Before he left, he stuck out a hand and said that it had been nice to meet me, and I said something to the effect of 'same here, and by the way, what's your name,' and to my astonishment, the name he gave was one that I recognized. My jaw dropped and I said, "What was your father's name?" He confidently told me that he had grown up in Titusville, some distance from here. I said, "Your father worked at the National Forge, though, right?" and watched as his face took on a quiet interested curiosity. As I expected, their names had been the same. I said, "I believe that our fathers knew each other." I gave him the name of my own father, also gone from this earth. I watched his face as the recognition dawned. He remembered. We had played together as children.

A white haired, balding man with a neatly trimmed goatee and a woman with her reading glasses perched atop of her scarved head stood in the middle of a crowded workshop staring at each other, not really seeing each other, looking back through the mists of many, many years....

9 comments:

A Novel Woman said...

Aren't those moments the best?

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

How cool is that :o) Glad you followed through, because often we walk away from those encounters before we get the info that makes it even more special.

Kelly said...

What a great post!

Pencil Writer said...

Wow! Kind of de javu (and I don't know how to spell it, sorry!) moment. Cool!

Bob said...

I have been asked to give a toast at a wedding this coming weekend and I had already decided the theme would be "Connections." This confirmed it for me. I might just make it a mini-sermon instead . . .

jeanie said...

That is wonderful, Deb!! I believe that connections are made for reasons.

Debby said...

Bob - I love that part in Benjamin Button when they go through the whole thing about 'a woman started to leave her house when the phone rang, and then she went outside and hailed a cab to pick up a package which was not wrapped,' etc. etc. etc. I like to think that our lives are all tied together in ways that we don't even see.

Bush Babe said...

Wow... moments of clarity like this are wonderful. Did you feel, for a second, like you were that child again?? Great post.
:-)
BB

Anonymous said...

The mists of many years, yet the sun still shone on both of you today God Bless..!

-Lavi