Monday, May 25, 2009

For Jeanie

Jeanie is Bush Babe's sister, and since they were both well raised by their fine mother, Anonymous, they are singularly nice people. However, since they live in Oz, they get confused about Yank expressions. Jeanie was intrigued by the word 'huaraches', and wondered just what I had kicked off before wading out into the Conewango creek to miss perfectly good pictures of a bald eagle.

Jeanie, dear, they are shoes. Huarache is a Mexican term for a type of flat shoe made out of leather thongs braided, woven, twisted decoratively to form the upper part of the shoe. I have two pair of huaraches and one pair of fisherman sandals that I wear almost exclusively in the summer when I am not at work.

I kicked off my shoes before wading into the creek. Just wanted to be clear.

10 comments:

Kelly said...

I like your huraches! Use to have a pair of my own (they were more orange color).

I mostly wear (original) Dr. Scholls in the summer.

steviewren said...

I used to have a 2 pairs of those that were so comfortable. One Sunday morning I looked down at my feet and realized that I had worn one of each to church! That should have taught me not to put my shoes on in the dark, but no. I did it again last year. I wore one black and one brown shoe to work. Can you say ditsy?

Bush Babe said...

Yeah... I have to admit, I was wondering too!! You learn a new thing every day...
:-)
BB

rhubarbwhine said...

They are so comfortable, I had a pair gifted me from an Internet friend once many years ago. Sadly, they have gone to shoe heaven. I think they had a bit of puppy help....

jeanie said...

Gee - thanks Debby.

Please understand my linguistic confusion - I normally wear thongs over here, and I know that can cause confustion internationally!!

Debby said...

Jeanie, when you said that you were left to imagine, I got a little frightened at what you would come up with. LOL about the thongs. Over here we wear flip-flops. Thongs are for our fannies.

*walks off cackling wildly*

quid said...

I love my huaraches! Mine are lighter in color and have low wedges. There is no planned obsolescence with huaraches. I think mine are older than my youngest child... (he's 23!)

We learn something new every day.

quid

jeanie said...

he he he - oh Debby, over here fannies are located somewhat differently to fannies over there. It would be one of those impossibly uncomfortable "g-strings"...

Debby said...

Jeanie: the first time that I heard about fannies ala Oz, I was slackjawed with amazement. My choice of words was intentional. I figured it would have everyone in Oz crumpled over in hysteria.

Bob said...

Only thing more lovely would be if your feet were in them . . . :-)