Saturday, May 9, 2009

Exhaustion

I could barely get out of bed today. 10 hours of sound sleep, but still, I was exhausted. I taught my little class and it went well. There was a lot of laughing, which is always a good sign. Talking about mosquitoes and mosquito control can be deadly dull if you are not careful. Once you get deadly dull, people stop listening. I like to make my point, and usually manage to keep things chatty enough and funny enough that I hold attention. I passed my bottle around with my live larva so that everyone knew what to look for. I passed my bottle around with the treated larva (dead) so that everyone could see for themselves the effectiveness of mosquito 'dunks'. We talked about adding fish to your ornamental ponds to control mosquitoes. We talked about dumping your birdbaths and artifical containers of standing water. "Jeff" offered up the suggestion that one problem could be solved by using a pair of his wife's panty hose as 'screening'. Jeff lives down the road from me. I said, "I'll let your wife know that you're using her panty hose for gardening purposes. She's been worried. It will come as a big relief to her." More laughing. And on it went.

I made a rainbarrel. I came home and planted 10 forsythia and three black berry bushes. Tim went to work, and I simply couldn't stand it. I took a nap. I slept soundly and discovered that my sister had come while I was sleeping. I never even heard her. I slept for two hours. I am still exhausted. Truly have not been this exhausted since treatment.

11 comments:

Daria said...

It's wonderful that you can sleep.

Take time to rest and recover.

A Novel Woman said...

Gee, I don't know, it's just a thought, but do you think maybe you're exhausted because you are DOING TOO MUCH? I'm exhausted just reading about it!

Listen to your body. Slow down. And remember "no day is so bad it can't be fixed with a nap."

Pam

Pencil Writer said...

Do take care AND have a Happy Mother's Day!

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better soon Deb. You have certainly been doing plenty. I don't know if it is Mother's Day today in the US as well as here, but have a happy one anyway. Love Barb

Caroline said...

You planted 13 bushes and wonder why you are tired? I couldn't do that! Perhaps you should slow down a little.

Hal Johnson said...

Debby, I wonder if you're making the same mistake as my sister-in-law when she finished chemo, in thinking that you can simply resume your former level of activity in one fell swoop. Please don't run yourself down.

Bush Babe said...

You dag... slow down. Stop trying to prove you are indestructible. We all know it already! Nap. Sleep. Remember how much you needed to sleep when you couldn't? This is catch-up time.

PS You make me giggle too.
:-)
BB

Kelly said...

Glad you're feeling good and getting back to normal, but yes... please don't overdo it!

Naps are GOOD things!

Happy Mother's Day!

jeanie said...

Deb

I have just finished reading a book that had some information about illnesses in the appendix, and it said for people who were or had been unwell, they needed to make sure they only used 75% of their energy before resting to help recover.

So tell me, what is 75% of superwoman's energy level? Because you sure as heck are doing about 150% of what this well woman would call a good day.

Give yourself a bit of a break, lady - I know "acting" like everything is normal is on the path to feeling like its normal, but can we at least pretend that 75% is an achieveable okay?

lecture over - hugs to you.

rhubarbwhine said...

Sleep is so, so what you need right now. Hang up your superwoamn cape for just a little bit - perhaps it could snuggle around you like an invisible sheld and protect you while you sleeeeeeeeep.

Sorry if I sound a bit preachy, writing out of love and respect, I promise xxx

PaintedPromise said...

yeah, what they said! don't overdo it!!

say "yes mom" ;)