Thursday, April 16, 2009

Today

Today I worked out in the field. Even with a water temp of 41.7, one of my 'hot spots' is already alive with mosquito larva. I walked and walked to see how widespread the problem is. The wind was cool and the sky was blue. The 'peeper' frogs were singing a chorus that says 'spring' like no other sound that I know. I waded carefully with my rubber boots because there were frog eggs everywhere. A swallow swooped around me and landed on a post to watch me closely. Returning the honor, I stopped to study it. As close as I was, the little charactor simply cocked his head and looked at me curiously, with no sign of fear at all. I got back to the truck, put on my mask, and filled the tank of my Maruyama. It's a lovely piece of equipment that started like a champ even though it has not been run since the end of September. Despite all my worries, I shouldered it with no problems at all. It only weighs about 42 lbs when it is filled with granulate, but it rode comfortably. I hauled it for an hour and a half, and put down a total 35 pounds of product over about two acres. Walking back to the truck for the final time, the sun warm on my face, I felt good. The wind blew, the frogs peeped, and the willows stood greenly silent.

At the end of the day, when I was walking back into the office, my cell rang. I fumbled it out, and said, "Hello?" It was my boss from DEP, wanting to know how things were going. "Man. What a great day," I said. "If I haven't said it this season yet, I really, really love this job!" Rick's heard this before, but he laughed anyway. I realized it like I've never realized it before. I need to be outside.

I came in to the office and listened to Dublin's Phantom 105 as I did my paperwork and data entry. Energized, I wrote an article. I did a lot of work today, and I'm tired, but it's not the exhausted tired of being sick. It's a healthy tired that you feel after a good and satisfying day at work.

14 comments:

Lori said...

Very nice entry. I'm so glad you had a great day!

Scotty said...

Glad you had a good day, Debby, and thanks for the Nickelback clip - they're one of my favourite bands.

:-)

Bush Babe said...

Sounds like the Deb of old... with a new take on the world!! And HOW I wish I had sound on this computer!!!!
:-)
Bb

Pam said...

Oh, I'm a Nickelback fan!

Glad to hear you had such a fantastic day!!!

steviewren said...

I'm glad you have the blessing of a job you love. I'd love to have a job that blessed me. Instead I have a CD of classical music that has the sounds of birds and wind which I play softly while I work. It helps take me away.

Mary Paddock said...

Glad you're back at your job and enjoying Deb!

Anonymous said...

You are doing so well Deb. Glad to hear you are enjoying the job. Enjoyed your visualisation too! We could sure use one of those storms here - of the real kind! Perhaps you can send one over? Thanks. Love Barb

Pencil Writer said...

What a GREAT sounding day! Outside is good! My youngest grandson's mantra is: " 'Side!" He lives to be running amuk outside! Hope today is another great day for you!

♥ Braja said...

Dearest Debby...finally we meet :) I just started to read through all the prayers and good wishes sent to us after the accident, and your good name was amongst them. I am touched, and from the bottom of my heart I thank you for your kindness and healing help....
with great affection,
Braja xxa

Debby said...

Braja! Oh, my gosh...I'm so pleased that you are recovering!

jeanie said...

So glad you are enjoying being back at work - hooray!!

A Novel Woman said...

Just curious...what is the granulate product you're spreading? Do you work at a golf course or conservation centre?

Debby said...

Pam: I work for the country conservation district. I am the West Nile Virus Technician/coordinator for our county. My job is surveillance and control of mosquitoes. I use a biological control for larviciding called bacillus thuringiensis israelensis (Bti) which you can read about here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_thuringiensis_israelensis

I really do love my job, wierd as it sounds. I like the solitude of it, and I like the physicalness of it, and I like being outside. It's the nicest job I've ever had, except for the moody secretary. I just keep out of the office as much as possible.

Bob said...

You are doing great and I'm so happy for you. What an interesting job. To hear someone say "I love my job" is so encouraging.