Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Sunday Morning

Darndest thing. We have a woodpecker swooping in each morning. He sits on our television aerial. Remember those? No cable at this house. Hard telling what will happen when the rest of the world goes digital in July. Anyhow, Sunday morning, I was jarred out of a sound sleep by a rattling pounding on the south side of our house, which is, incidently the wall that the head of our bed is against. I lifted my face from the pillow and blearily asked, "What the heck is that?!!!!!" As previously reported, I am not a morning person. Tim lay on his back, wide awake with a broad smile. He is a morning person, which accounts for the ridiculous look on his face. He explained about the woodpecker. "He's being nice today. Usually he's here at 7."

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Woodpeckers sure can make a racket!!

Do y'all have Pileated Woodpeckers up there? They're HUGE (like a crow- 16" or 17") and have a rat-a-tat to match!

Daria said...

One time last year, a woodpecker fell down our fireplace chimney and when I opened the flute, he flew in the house ... fortunately, I was able to chase him out the door.

Prior to that I tried to block him in the fire place with a big piece of plywood but the noise he created was unbelievable ... they sure are noisy.

Pencil Writer said...

Oh, can I relate!!! We've got quite a variety of woodpeckers around here and they've been doing their mating calls for the last couple of months. They, the pileated ones, are huge! But they are quite something to watch. We had another member of that family actually roosting in our attic when we first moved into this house. The red headed variety are quite a bit smaller, but they are my favorites--because they are VERY beautiful birda. Several birds have "found a home" here over the years. In fact, yesterday I caught some pictures of a Blue Bird couple trying to establish a nesting spot (I believe) by insistently attempting to fly into, and peck on, my kitchen window. I've got pictures posted on my blog if you wanna see the determined little critter. The most persistent, the male, is beautiful. (The female is, also. I'm not trying to be predjudicial, here!) He tried for hours yesterday and was at it again today at least by 7 am.

Hope you and Tim can find a way to discourage the rat-a-tat-tatting on your house. My efforts usually include pounding on the wall (from my side) to discourage their attempt at squatter's rights. Often I go outside and shoo them away. They are persistent. And, as my son told me today, "The saying bird brain didn't come about by accident, Mom."

Have a nice day!

Lori said...

We have one that lives somewhere nearby. He comes by to get bugs from our trees every so often. I love to hear him tap-tap-tapping, but I don't think I'd want to be awakened by him early in the morning.