Monday, April 6, 2009

Sad

I stopped at the grocery store to pick up a few things. I was waiting in line behind a mother with a teenage girl and a little boy, maybe 7. They had quite a cart load of stuff and the little boy seemed incredulous. "Mommy," he asked, "Where did you get the money to buy all this stuff?" "My job," she answered. "Mommy?" the little boy said again. "What?" said mommy, unloading the cart. "Is the reason we don't tell daddy about your job so that he won't take your child support away?" And the mother and the teenage girl laughed as if this was the funniest thing they ever heard. Being a single parent is hard, but I thought it was very sad to train a small child to keep secrets. I thought it was even sadder for the teenage girl who is learning that this is how it's done.

6 comments:

rhubarbwhine said...

That is sad, I agree. Even sadder that they thought it funny :(
Thinking of you back at work, Debby.
HHugs
xx

Mrs. Spit said...

You know, it's heart breaking, that a child is learning deception, that a mother only gets child support by engaging in it.

That must have been hard to watch.

Debby said...

Hi, Mrs. S. The mother would have continued to get child support, but it would have given the father the right to have it recalculated. It could have resulted in the mother receiving less. I think, though, that it is sad that this little boy was seeing his father as a 'bad guy'. I don't know the other side of the story, but I hate adversarial divorces that involve the children and their emotions. I think it is sad and confusing.

Kim said...

It is sad and heartbraking. My children were taught by their mother to keep secrets which turned into the art of lying. I know too well the pain and destruction this can cause.

PaintedPromise said...

that is so incredibly sad.

Lori said...

That is sad. Very, very sad!