Saturday, April 25, 2009

Not Me...

After I finished at the Cancer Center on Friday, I had another appointment with my regular doctor. I hadn't been there since last fall, when all this began. I walked in and greeted the receptionist in my regular way. "Good morning, you rotten woman, you!" and even though she had quite a cold going on, she was as glad to see me as I was to see her. I could tell because even after I sat down with a magazine to wait, she tossed a couple zingers at me. Me, being me, gave as good as I got. There was a gentleman watching this exchange with a surprised look on his face. Being in rare form, I looked over the top of my magazine and said, "That's the best thing about cancer. You can be just as awful as you want to people, and they have to be nice to you." The poor man looked shocked, but he managed a little chuckle. I went back to reading, but commented, "There are some in the world that would take advantage of a situation like that. I'm not one of those, though. I'm noble like that..." Mary, the receptionist (gosh, I know a lot of Marys...) croaked, "Don't you listen to one thing she says...."

6 comments:

Lori said...

What a great doctor's office, if he has a receptionist who can joke with you like that. But that poor man! lol

Hal Johnson said...

Ha! You'd fit in well at my workplace . . .

Caroline said...

Attitude is everything! Keep it up!

Daria said...

Cute ... nice when you can build such a nice relationship with someone in a tough situation like that.

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

Always love to hear bantering like this back and forth...shows a great sense of humor!

Bush Babe said...

Oh fabulous... that sounds so much like something Jeanie or I would do!!! Laughter is totally the best (supporting) medicine...
:-)
BB