Thursday, April 23, 2009

Laughter is the Best Medicine

I love Mr. Bean, and this is something that no one else in this house understands. They think the skits are stupid and can't stand the ridiculous noises he makes. I try to explain his genius, the fact that he can get a whole story across with his remarkable face and those goofy sounds. They don't get it at all. Early in my diagnosis, my friends Mary and Danny bought me two Mr. Bean videos. They'd never actually watched him, but they remembered how funny I thought he was, and they figured that a cancer diagnosis was as good a time to start laughing as any. When the going gets rough, I drag out Mr. Bean, and lo, it is good.



Tim's on second shift now, and I am by myself in the evenings. It's a good time to get things done, I suppose, and the radiation has been wearing on me these past couple weeks, so it is nice to be able to go to bed early, and not feel guilty about it. However, last Friday, I could bear being alone no longer. Mary and Danny weren't doing anything, so we made up our minds to get together. I offered to introduce them to Mr. Bean. By the time that I'd gotten to their house, I was a little embarrassed. I was sure that they'd think he was stupid, but be too polite to say it. Know what? They laughed as hard as I did. Finding two more fans of Mr. Bean was exciting stuff, and driving home, reflecting, I don't think that there is anything nicer than an evening of laughter with people that you've known for a long, long time.

16 comments:

Mrs. Spit said...

I adore Mr. Bean. I have noticed that he is something you either "get" or you don't. And Rowan Atkinson is brilliant in Four Weddings and a Funeral. Steals the show.

Alison said...

I LOVE Mr. Bean!!!!!!!!!!! I love watching him and I use him all the time for teaching emotion intelligence to kids, too.
Did you know Rowan Atkinson based his Mr Bean character on his brother who has Autism?? I love the way he takes lots of personal quirks and turns them into something people are allowed to laugh at.

breast cancer chemotherapy said...

I love Mr. Bean as well. He tickles my every morning full of stress and depression.

Lynne said...

Ok, going to have to look into who this Mr. Beans is and where can I find him?? Is he playing court with the Man in the Beans??

Found your blog by way of Lori, http://lori-dustypages.blogspot.com/ - whom gave you a great write-up and she was not wrong.

Blessings to you and yours and I look forward to hearing more about this Mr. Beans! :-)

Daria said...

I too love Mr Bean and sometimes I take his DVD and watch it on one of those portable DVD players. I'm the only one laughing in the daycare area and everyone else is so serious.

Mr Bean is a blast.

Indigo said...

Laughter is the medicine of the soul. I'm delighted you were able to find some joy with your friends. (Hugs)Indigo

A Novel Woman said...

Love, love, LOVE Mr. Bean!

Ditto Monty Python.

Kelly said...

I think Mr. Bean is funny, too.

Laughter is SO important and we do a lot of it around our house.

MuseSwings said...

Mr. Bean is a scream! You go girl! Speaking of going, there's a day spa adventure in France on Tuesday- be there! Don't forget your credit cards and tiara's. There'll be no real use for them, but you know how I love it when you keep them laying about in the open.

Lydia said...

Oh Mr. Bean is fantastic. I'm so glad you found some people to enjoy him with. Laughter may be the best medicine, but laughter shared can just deliver you to another place. :}

Lori said...

I love Mr. Bean and I used to love watching him in Blackadder. I guess my family has a quirky sense of humor because we love stuff like that. I'm glad you have some friends to share that kind of laughter with too.

steviewren said...

Debby, you are so right. Friends you can laugh with are the best. Earlier this week, I told my friend Nancy everything that has gone wrong lately. And believe you me...it's a lot. By the end of the conversation we were laughing like crazy. There is nothing better than a friend who helps you find the light side of life.

I stayed late at work tonight to check in on all my favorite bloggers. I hope to be back soon. Until then take care and keep laughing...it is the best medicine.

rhubarbwhine said...

I adore Mr Bean. Love him / Rowan Atkinson, and watch what I can, I think his humour is so clever. I agree, the best medicine there is :)

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

The the Bean :o)

Nana Trish is Living the Dream said...

I must check Mr. Bean out. Where have I been? Under a rock? I need to laugh this weekend. I love to hear people laugh. It makes one feel so much better. later

jeanie said...

Personally, I find him so infuriating - I can appreciate the humour, but I want to go through the screen and strangle him!

Do you know there is a cartoon version now?