Sunday, April 19, 2009

Job Benefit

When I am working, I find that quite unconsciously, I am noticing that the willows have leaves. The forsythia is in bloom. Daffodils. The joyous cacophony of birds all around me. Frogs and frog eggs. There's a curious and attentive little five year old boy at one of my stops who follows me around asking a thousand questions. I gave him a glass aquarium and a couple magnifying glasses last year so that he could study nature with his own two eyes. I wondered if he had found frog eggs. The sky is always interesting. Blue or black, cloudy or clear, it's a wonder to look at. New plants are springing up. And did you ever just look at a scoop of swamp water? It's alive with creatures. I love to watch them darting about, a world within a world. Getting reacquainted with dogs from last year. Some remember me, or at least remember that I usually am good for a biscuit. There's all kinds of things to think about when you're out in the field. My mind is way too busy to be thinking on things like cancer. That is an unexpected job benefit.

7 comments:

quid said...

Although there are no breaks or stanzas, Debby... this is a beautiful poem.

quid

jeanie said...

Beautiful, Deb.

So often the refrain to aid us when things bring us into mental torment is to "get busy" - and you are so busy noticing life and joy. Thanks for sharing these things with us too.

Kelly said...

This reminded me of how much fun my kids always had watching the progression of the tadpoles in ditches near our home.

Good for you for encouraging that little boy and his curiosity!! You may never know what a difference you made in his life.

Anonymous said...

Lovely post Deb. It brings many happy pictures to mind. Barb

Bush Babe said...

Ah yes. This too is my therapy, when life and it's complications press down on you too hard. We went for a drive yesterday, and I saw again the wonder of the simple things about me. I needed it badly. Great description - something that great HAS to be doing you good!!
:-)
Bb

Kim said...

Sounds like an awesome job benefit. Nature has a way of taking us places - good places.

Nana Trish is Living the Dream said...

Thank you so much for sharing this. You are a gifted writer and a wonderful person for giving this child something to learn about our world.