Monday, April 20, 2009

All is Well.

I did not realize that I was going to be awake for the removal of the mediport. I was pretty squeamish about that. I don't know why, exactly, but I was dreading that appointment. To make matters worse, it was at the end of the day. They were running late. Everyone was very nice, but that extra hour gave me time to quietly feel plainly sick about the whole thing. That and the fact that it was four and I had not eaten since the previous midnight. For some reason, Tim felt honor bound to be there. This surprised me, since he got sick watching the needle being inserted into my chest for chemo. I tried to make it clear that I understood if he could not. Finally, it was time, and the numbing shots were given. The cutting began, and there was conversation. As usual, the actual event was not nearly as horrible as I'd imagined it would be, although at one point, the wet, slurpy sound coming from my chest made me feel sickish. Tim was holding my hand, and I turned my head to him to say something and noticed that he was very pale. I said, "Um. Tim. Are you okay?" The doctor said something to him, and he did not answer. I said, "Really, he is not normally that color." They made him sit down. He suddenly said, "It is too hot in here," and excused himself. We both survived. We came home and got a load of firewood. Tim said it wasn't so much the cutting that bothered him, or seeing things. It was hearing the play by play commentary. "This is deep," and "We're cutting away a lot of scar tissue," and the like. The incision hurts right now, but that's the extent of it. I've taken some ibuprofen and am headed back to bed. I've got time to make up at work tomorrow.

9 comments:

Daria said...

Those things make me squeamish too. I've been poke and prodded so much but I still get nervous.

Happy for you ... it's done.

Karen said...

You never cease to amaze me. Take it easy on that incision tomarrow at work.

Caroline said...

But its over! Isn't that wonderful! I am not sure I would have liked the commentary. My doctors didn't talk about what they were doing. I also had an hour delay and managed to get really stressed about the whole thing as well. But let the healing begin!!!

Kelly said...

Glad that's over for you!!

My husband only gets squeamish if it's his OWN blood. I think he was totally fascinated with my C-sections.

Lori said...

Well I'm glad it went well and it's over and done with. I think it was super sweet of Tim to be there for you, even though it was difficult. I hope the pain recedes quickly. Rest up and take care!

Bush Babe said...

Deary me... that made me squirm a little. And I'm not really a squirmer. Great that it is out (you have been working in the field with a mediport still attached??). Medical personnel need a lesson in behaviour in front of wakeful patients - I had a dentist be a complete bully to his nurse at my last visit. If he hadn't had a sharp instrument in my mouth, I swear I would have bitten his hand!! Gosh it made me mad...

So nice you have your chest back to yourself though... another step ticked off that list!
:-)
BB

nanatrish said...

I am happy you were brave and you got it out. I find that the longer I have to think about something I more I get worked up. I think it's why both of my weddings were planned out and over in two weeks.

quid said...

Frankly, I'm sure this was rough on both of you... I meet a lot of people in the hospital coming in to have their port installed or removed. There's always trepidation and palpable
"I wish this was over" hanging over them and the dear ones with them.

It's icky.

PaintedPromise said...

oh Lord! i'm usually ok while stuff is going on... then afterward, i fall apart. and pass out. yeah. lol.