Saturday, March 21, 2009

Spring Cleaning

Well, now that I am feeling all perky again, I started taking a look around my 'castle'.Fall housecleaning had sort of gotten lost in the shuffle, and this winter I contented myself with merely keeping up, surface cleaning.


This meant everything looked nice as long as you didn't go poking around in drawers or closets.

Imagine Uncle Fester
doing June Cleaver's job.
although I've never seen June Cleaver stacking firewood

Also I don't think that Uncle Fester shaved his legs.

I've been praying for hair. I got it. On my legs.

*sigh*

**********
Anyway, back to the spring cleaning. I've been scrubbing and cleaning. Most importantly, I've been getting rid of things. How do we end up with so much stuff? Clothes and small appliances and extra bakeware (who the heck needs two angel food cake pans, and where did the second one even come from?), dishes, glasses, nick nacks, skates, video gaming systems...once I started poking around, I found an embarrassing amount of stuff we don't use any more. (Note to Cara: I haven't touched anything in your room or closet, although I have taken the slushy machine to the Goodwill.) And then there are things that have been kept for no discernable reason. They are useless. For those things we have a burn pile. And garbage pickup.

I'm actually a little surprised at how soul satisfying it is to be chucking stuff and cleaning. Tim even has supper waiting on the table when he gets home from work. In 11 years of marriage, that has seldom happened with both of us working.

Maybe I'd have made a good '50s housewife after all.June Cleaver and Lucy never had to worry about Wally, the Beav, and Little Ricky coming home with tattoos. Oh. And June and Lucy had hair. Not being ungrateful, Lord. Just saying.

14 comments:

Pam said...

I've been doing lots of spring cleaning the past couple of weeks. I really got into it this week while the kids and I were home.

I still have soooooooooooo much more I need to do. When I'm in 'mission mode'...look out!!

Redlefty said...

I'm pretty sure Ward Cleaver didn't do much cooking either, so not all the differences are bad!

steviewren said...

My yard needs a good spring cleaning. It is a mess of leaves, sticks, and hickory nut shells. The bushes need trimming. The front door needs painting, the garage is a wreck, everything is in desperate need of dusting...not to mention cleaning out unused stuff...I'm overwhelmed before I even start...wonder if I could hire someone to do it for me....

Caroline said...

My theory is that people with cancer shouldn't have to do any type of cleaning. I keep telling my husband that I should be exempt from dusting, vacuuming, mopping, sweeping, shoveling, raking because any of these things could be detrimental to my health. I am not sure he really buys it but he does help me.

Bob said...

Nothing like a woman who gets in cleaning mode. I came home from an early Saturday a.m. meeting yesterday and Wife was in the garage -- sweeping, re-arranging, stacking, etc. And oh yes, heaving big sighs and shaking her head, which is code for: Oh don't mind me, I'm happy to do this. Go on in and watch the basketball tournament and I'll be fine.

Lavinia said...

Your firewood pile must be taller than the Eiffel tower by now. Bet you could heat half of Pennsylvania. Just saying....

By the way! Glad you got your spring cleaning under way, and the had the energy to do so. I know that no one can face that task unless they have an energy surge. The new normal is thankfully showing some of the wonderful qualities of the 'old' normal. Except for the leg hair part. Whatever did women do before razors were invented...

Kelly said...

Wish I could get inspired to do some Spring Cleaning of my own. *sigh*

Elizabeth said...

So glad you are feeling better and stronger.
Yes, getting rid of stuff is wonderful therapy.
We need so little really in the way of material things.
All we really need are good friends, a loving family and an ability to reach out to others.
Blessings.

Lavinia said...

Hey, I've tagged you for a meme! Pop over to the birdbath to see what it's about...

Lavinia said...

Hey, I've tagged you for a meme! Pop over to the birdbath to see what it's about...

Debby said...

Red, Tim and Ward are not so different after all.

Bob, as Pam can surely attest, when a woman in is full cleaning mode, best thing you can do is just stay out of the way.

Caroline, I pretty much took the winter off. I am actually so wonderfied at my new energy levels that I am enjoying this spring cleaning in a very grateful, soul satisfying sort of way.

Stevie, 10 minute tidy up for your lawn. Do it every day, just 10 minutes. It'll start coming together.

Elizabeth, welcome. I'm so glad to be back and I've added your books to my list of 'gotta reads'.

Kelly, what the heck! if you're not inspired to clean, go do something you are inspired to do.

Debby said...

Oh, Lavinia... woodpile is not that high. Working on it, though. I'm not allowed to use a chain saw. Poor hand/eye coordination. In return (and gratitude) I've forbidden Tim to use the vacuum.

Cara said...

my...my...my... my slushie machine?

Dave said...

A very clever and humourous blog Debbie. Thanks for the entertainment! - Dave