Friday, March 6, 2009

Transformation

Cara and her childhood friend, Sarah, went to Dylan's house for winter break. Dylan had finally caved. After years of living a very spartan life, he had decided that he needed to decorate his home. I did not know about this plan in advance. It is probably good. I would have been itching to do it myself. Instead I was able to focus on the important things like home made bread stuffed with pepperoni and cheese. So Cara and Sarah drove out there last Friday. Now let me describe Dylan's living room to you. One couch. One loveseat. One entertainment center with all manner of entertainment upon it and a bookshelf stuffed with technical manuals. A lamp. That is it. He has ascribed to three hard and fast decorating rules ever since he's been on his own: No plants. No throw pillows. Three framed photographs are enough for any home. His decorating rules were the opposite of my decorating rules: Lots of plants. Lots of throw pillows. Framed photos everywhere. Just last year, he still wasn't clear on why, for instance, towels needed match the shower curtain and bathroom rugs.

He handed over his debit card to his sister (!!!!!!!!!!!) along with a limit. He told her that he would keep his mouth shut. Cara and Sarah had free rein to transform his little house. Cara assures me that he has been pretty good about sticking to his word, although there were a few initial squawks and nervous palpitations when he discovered that money ain't for nothing and your drapes ain't cheap. However, he does have MTV as a cable selection, and settled down after a bit. The girls were then able to get to the serious decorating. They bought a coffee table and an end table, a floor lamp, explained the concept of 'scale' with him and replaced his current table lamp. The walls now are decorated. Vast expanses of white are now covered with a wall clock and tin reproductions of old time beer advertisements. There are even throw pillows on the sofas and a throw. Furniture was rearranged. Last night I even got a call from Walmart. Down to the final finishing touches, they were trying to decide on a plant.

I've been receiving updates all week long from both Dylan and Cara. It's been fun to follow the progress, even from the other side of the state. It is not only a house being transformed. I think Dylan is, as well. The last time he was home, one of the girls he graduated with took him out shopping for clothes. For the first time, he returned home with shirts that required ironing. Khaki pants. Shoes that were not sneakers. When I went to his house, he was ironing clothes and wearing dress shirts. Now he lives in a decorated house. I think Dylan may have grown up. Completely.

12 comments:

Bush Babe said...

Congrats sisters, Mum and Dylan... mission accomplished!!!!
:-)
BB

Alison said...

He may be growed up, but I betcha he can't make bread stuffed with pepperoni and cheese.
I love that he let his sister decorate his place. That's awesome.

Kelly said...

What a fun experience for Cara and her friend!! ...and what a great brother for allowing her free reign to do it!

I hope they are sending you pictures of the transformation.

Mrs. Spit said...

As much of a pleasure and an honour that must be for a mum to watch, I can't help but think that must be a bit hard on you.

Hugs.

mommamia said...

I think it is also a tribute to your daughter that he trusted her to it. What a great relationship they must have and what a proud mom you must be.

Hal Johnson said...

Guys like Dylan sure make the rest of us look bad . . .

Lavinia said...

Wow! Congrats to Dylan!!

Pam said...

Share the photos of the transformation when and if you get them!

I was grinning as I read this post. How fun for Cara; and how scary for Dylan! LOL!

Danielle Michelle said...

My bro just had that experience - he got married! I don't recognize what he lives in anymore - THANK GOD!

Kim said...

How cool is that!

rhubarbwhine said...

Oooh - do we get before an after photos? Sounds like he is, indeed, growing up. Is there a love interest on the horizon?

Debby said...

Rhu - I asked. He says no. Of course, he would say that anyways. He's notoriously close mouthed about these things.

Hal - You're grown up. Really. Run along and ask Rhonda. :^D