Sunday, March 29, 2009

Sunday

It was a long night full of strange and vivid dreams and alternating between being uncomfortably warm and then freezing. At one point, I woke up from a dream about a terrible storm coming. For some reason I responded to this terrible storm by moving into our basement (logical enough), fixing it up quite home-like, and then heading to the homes of my friends to steal their Tupperware lids. Just the lids. Don't know why. I woke up with a jolt, roasting hot. I threw off the blankets, and then Tim began to laugh heartily from his side of the bed, from a sound sleep. He was dreaming too. I drifted off to sleep again, and had another bizarre dream about shopping in the dark with a shopping cart that kept collapsing when I tried to put anything into it. I woke up again, freezing this time, and grabbed for the covers. Tim was gone from his half of the bed. When next I woke up, roasting and tossing off the blankets, he was back, but awake. Who can blame him, poor man?

This morning, when we woke up, it was gray and rainy. Yesterday, we did six hours of home insulation work at one of the houses. That, added to the restless night made us both lazy and not inclined to get up. This morning, we did something that we have never done before. Both of us simply 'skipped' church. We slept in, we had a leisurely breakfast in bed, we talked for a couple hours. When we finally did get up, I was in the mood to cook. I made a pot of seafood gumbo. Tim's never had it before. He looked at the okra doubtfully. "I don't know if I like seafood gumbo," he said. I'd heard this before. When we met, he'd never had cottage cheese with peaches in it before. He poked at it doubtfully, but after trying it, he liked it very much. He claims that he'd never eaten zucchini and he didn't think that he would like that, either, but I stuffed one, and he was hooked. Zucchini is one of his favorite vegetables, next to asparagus, which he was pretty sure he didn't like either, but changed his mind when I made it for Easter once. The list goes on and on. So I made the gumbo anyway.

It was a quiet day. It seemed short, because we had gotten up so late. It was just Tim and I, talking, watching the birds outside, the squirrels. We moved leisurely and companionably through our day. Good smells wafted through the house from my little kitchen. Today was just for us. I reveled in the comfort of marriage and good food and good conversation.

Oh, and it turns out that Tim likes seafood gumbo after all.

14 comments:

steviewren said...

Days like that are the best. You'll both feel so refreshed tomorrow.

Redlefty said...

Sounds to me like you went to church, even though you didn't visit that building where you usually go on Sundays. :)

Roland said...

I love gumbo.

RedWifey said...

This pregnancy has brought me SEVERAL consecutive nights of vivid dreaming. Some good, some terrible and some just plain weird. And until I got on my Thyroid meds, I was doing the hot/cold thing EVERY night, too. That makes for a miserable night's sleep. Glad you got to rest this morning.

Bush Babe said...

A heavenly day after a bad night. Just the thing - Tim's food issues made me laugh. Perhaps I should send Violet over to your house so she'll try something OTHER than banana smoothies, Weetbix and butter sandwhiches??
:-)
BB

Bush Babe said...

'sandwiches'... sheesh!

Debby said...

Redwifey, I always dreamed, vividly, when I was pregnant. I don't know why. I can tell you that I am not pregnant. The hot flashes are chemo induced menopause. BB - Tim grew up in a very 'meat and potatoes' home. He continued to feed himself the same way when he was on his own. Then I showed up. With cookbooks. To his credit, he eats everything that I put in front of him, despite his misgivings, and I can't remember anything that he hated. He tells everyone that I cook so well that it's like eating in a restaurant. This is not true, but it is nice that he's so easily pleased. Violet will outgrow the finicky stage. Roland, I have yet to make your mexican 'giardinara', although the recipe is posted on my refrigerator. It's because I still have not remembered to get broccoli when I'm out. It is a must try, and I WILL get back to you on it. Redlefty, it felt exactly like that. It was a day imbued with serenity and gratitude and love. As Stevie put it, it was the best.

Caroline said...

My husband is skeptical on many vegetables as well. But I am converting him. I hate the hotflash/frostbite temperature swings. I can't get a good night's sleep!

Pencil Writer said...

Thanks for reminding me that I need to make gumbo again! I LOVE gumbo! Especially the okra! So, do you make your's all spicy like they do down here in Lousiana?

Kelly said...

I've always been a vivid dreamer, especially in recent years. Most mornings, if I make the effort, I can remember a lot of them. (not that they'd make much sense if I tried to relate them to anyone)

I'll pass on the gumbo (don't do seafood). Not too fond of zucchini, either. I could have shipped it by the bushel to you the past two summers. We got a plant by mistake (looked just like the yellow squash til the blooms made squashes) and naturally it came back the next year on its own since I didn't want it!!

Lavinia said...

Debby, I'm throwing in my two cents here and saying I don't think you should be doing six hours of insulating yet. I know your energy is coming back but don't push it or overdo it. Okay, my 'momma' scolding is over.

Pam said...

What a wonderful sounding day!!!

I, too, am a very vivid dreamer. I can also get up to pee or let a yippy dog out when my daughter's out late and her small dog wakes me up (every 2 hours when she's REALLY late!), then go back to sleep and, pretty much, pick up where I left off. Most of the dreams are a bizarre combo of past and present places and people.

jeanie said...

I think you did go to church. And this adventurous cook here has never had gumbo - with or without okra.

PaintedPromise said...

okra {gag} not around here! but glad Tim liked your gumbo!!!

i found something this week that i like that Randy did NOT and i was amazed as his palate is much more eclectic than mine... it's called Artichoke Tapenade and it's made by Gertie's, sold at Costco. and the SECOND thing that amazed me is, i don't like artichoke! but this was pretty darn good :)