Sunday, March 1, 2009

Robin

"In the depths of winter, I learned that within me lie an invincible summer." Camus

On February 26th, on the way to the cancer center, I saw my first robin of the year. (For those who live in other parts of the world, the robin flies south for the winter, and returns in the spring.) The robin was at the peak of a house, feathers fluffed, looking quite grumpy as he pondered February.

I was actually shocked to see him. I have lived a winter focused on cancer treatment and learning the lessons of that time. For the first time in my life, I had forgotten to even look for spring. It has been a long winter here, and the promise of a new season actually brought tears to my eyes.

7 comments:

Mrs. Spit said...

Hurrah.

I repeated that quote to myself an awful lot last winter.

A Novel Woman said...

YAY!!!

And again, YAY!!!!!!

I don't think people who live in temperate climes really understand the impact on the psyche of that first spring robin sighting. I have the same gut reaction. Ditto the geese flying overhead. I always rush outside like a lunatic, nightgown notwithstanding, and just let the sound wash over me as I stare into the sky.

And one more YAY!!! for the road.

Mary Paddock said...

Hurray for Spring and for change.

It has been a long winter,especially for those preoccupied with surviving.

jeanie said...

How profoundly wonderful!! Welcome to Spring.

steviewren said...

I missed a day or two of visiting your blog and I've missed out on a theological debate, your new hair and spring! What was I thinking?

Congrats on the stubble....bet that's the nicest thing you've seen in a long time....would be for me.

David said...

The robin is the one
That interrupts the morn
With hurried, few, express reports
When March is scarcely on.

The robin is the one
That overflows the noon
With her cherubic quantity,
An April but begun.

The robin is the one
That speechless from her nest
Submits that home and certainty
And sanctity are best.

Emily Dickinson.

Cheers,
DavidM

Lavinia said...

Been a long time since I saw a robin. I have been hearing birds cheeping throughout this winter and they are a true balm to a troubled soul, at least in my case.