Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Returning

funny pictures of cats with captions
see more Lolcats and funny pictures

What's this picture got to do with this blog post?
Nothing.
I just thought it was funny.
**************
I'm sort of amazed how, about a month after chemo ended, I'm feeling pretty darn human again. My energy levels are coming back. I still have to write everything down to make sure that I remember, but the good news is that I'm remembering to write everything down. My thought processes are beginning to clear, and that makes me gladder than I can say. The lethargy of the preceding months has been shrugged off like an oppressively heavy winter coat.
The radiation doesn't seem like it's going to be that big of a deal. Today is my 6th treatment. I realize that it can cause muscle weakness on the affected side, so I really concentrate on using my left arm for everything. Yesterday was a nice spring day, so I threw and stacked next winter's firewood, listening to the birds, and sweating in the warm spring sun. I did not stop. Ka-chunk! Ka-chunk! Ka-chunk! It is a familiar sound, a sound that's rung through these tree-covered hills for generations. It is not new to me either. I've stacked firewood since I was a teenager. It is a reassuring sound to me though, a sign that I am easing back into the current of life, that I am again part of the changing seasons, that I am again productive and purposeful. I never realized just how important that is to the human experience until I found myself sitting on the sidelines, tired and foggy, watching life continue on around me, watching life continue on without me. I'm so glad to be back.

7 comments:

Caroline said...

I subscribe to Lolcats and loved the one you posted. Its a great way to start my day. My life is covered in post it notes these days - so I can remember stuff. I need to start putting post its on people so I can remember their names. Getting back to life, even the mundane chores, actually is very nice.

Mrs. Spit said...

I'm so glad that you are feeling better and that the radiation is going so well.

I howled at this morning's LOLCat about rising, but not shining!

ConverseMomma said...

I am glad for you. Hope that thunk, thunk, thunking of recognition continues, and grows stronger every day.

PaintedPromise said...

i am so glad you be back too!

i guess i should go check out LOLCat, i used to be famous for rising but not shining... since i got the horses, though, everything changed, i am no longer a night owl as i have become an early bird by necessity...

Kim said...

So glad you are back. It is the simple things in life we cherish most. And, I love the picture.

Lavinia said...

Glad to have you back! And good to see you are still stacking firewood. Debby being Debby you will continue to use that ol' firewood stacking as a good cover for all your nefarious deed, on and off the Orient Express. Bwa ha ha!!

quid said...

I know that folks are probably always telling you about some miracle cure that your doctors would tell you is a lot of crap.

I'm taking AHCC to bolster my immune system, so that my bout of Mersa will not return. The Japanese use it in concert with all oncology procedures. Check it out.

http://www.npicenter.com/anm/templates/newsATemp.aspx?articleid=21898&zoneid=28

http://www.breastcancerwellness.org/assets/images/AHCC.pdf