Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Different Day

I've been having a problem. I'm guessing that it's the radiation. I talked to my friend Mary who said that she had the same problem. I am freezing. Once I go outside, I get chilled, and I cannot get warmed back up to save my soul. Even with hot flashes. (What good are they?!) Yesterday, by the time that I got errands done after radiation, I was so cold that I came home, put on a polar fleece top and wrapped myself in a couch throw, and waited to feel warmer. I didn't. I had no energy, and dragged myself from one task to another, and finally gave up. I laid down on the couch for a little nap but I was astonished to see Tim walking in the door in the middle of the afternoon. My first thought was that they couldn't have laid him off after a week. Then I caught sight of the clock. I had slept for two solid hours and didn't even feel as if I had fallen asleep. Last night I went to bed and slept another 8 hours and could barely make myself get out of bed this morning. My morning cup is definately hitting the spot. The caffeine is waking me up, ever so slowly. The warm drink makes me feel better. I'm freezing.

10 comments:

Caroline said...

Oh, yes the hot flashes interspered with feeling cold. What a lovely combination. I haven't quite figured out what to do about it. Are you on Tamoxifen? I am and I think that is what is giving me the hot flashes. I need to talk to my doctor about the chills because this is new - and I am a year ahead of you in treatment. Usually I get chilled every morning and find that if I go exercise it gets my body moving and I am warmer the rest of the day.

Now the fatigue during radiation I was told was one of two things - everyone but the radiation oncologist told me it was the effects of radiation making me tired. My body was working really hard to regrow cells that were zapped. My radiation oncologist told me that was nonsense and it was caused by the total effect of my body recovering from everything it had been through - surgeries, chemo and now radiation. Believe who you want but being tired during rads I think is common. Good luck and happy napping!

Debby said...

No. I am not taking Tamoxifen yet. I can't wait for it to get warm out though. It was 19 degrees this morning. I hated to walk out the door.

Kelly said...

You should take a big fluffy blanket, put it in your dryer to warm it up, and then sit cozy with your coffee mug and just allow your body to re-charge.

Nothing fun about being cold.

Redlefty said...

Well, it is radiation. Maybe this will be like a comic book thing, and you're developing a superpower! Emma Frost in the real world.

Lucky you -- people tell me I have mutations but so far none of them are beneficial.

Anonymous said...

So what's my excuse? I just feel cold no matter what, lately, and I'm having sneezing fits. But I don't have a cold.

-Lavi

Pam said...

I'll be happy to trade climates with you for awhile, Debs. You can have my warm weather and I'll take your cold. :)

jeanie said...

"It was 19 degrees this morning."

In our money, that is a beautiful day - but in yours NO WONDER YOU ARE COLD, woman - that is cold!!!!

Bush Babe said...

Thinking warm thoughts for you Deb... it was also 19 degrees in our kitchen this morning. But OUR 19 degrees is friendly. Yours is not. Thought about moving Down Under??
:-)
BB

Scotty said...

Were your feet cold and were you wearing socks at the time? For me, my perception of cold is often first based on how comfortable my feet are. Feet sweat (even when cold) and socks can retain some of that perspiration so that your feet always feel cold; changing socks doesn't always help on its own. Take old socks off, wash your feet in some warm water with some Radox (or bath salts), dry your feet thoroughly, and then put on some clean socks. The brain sends messages to other parts of the body after that...

:-)

MuseSwings said...

Debby - I think Caroline is right on the money - it's your bod telling you how tired it is. Freezing - even here in Florida is what tells me I need a nap. I nearly froze to death the first 3 months of both my pregnancies - same issue - tired. So bundle up and rest up - all of your wonderful energy is working against you, and even though you may feel like Superdeb after what you've been through, you need more rest.