Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Waltons

Through the wonders of cable TV, I found myself watching an episode of 'The Waltons' at Dylan's house as I packed my stuff up to go. It was my absolute favorite program as a teenager. I have not seen it in years. My back was to the TV when the theme music began to play, I froze, and the past came rushing in. I remembered the pattern of the brown rug I sprawled on to watch it. I remembered the olive green naugahyde furniture. I remembered what it was to be skinny, to be healthy, to be young, and to take these things for granted.
I sat down to watch the program and indulge my nostalgia. It was so sweet and simple and wholesome. The episode ended happily, as they most always did. "Good night, Mary Ellen. Good night, mama. Good night, Daddy, etc." Unexpectedly, I found myself ready to cry. It sure would be nice if life could be that sweet and simple and wholesome. It would be nice if all crises worked themselves out in an hour. It would be nice if everything had a happy ending.

13 comments:

Bush Babe said...

I guess it's all in the angle of the current view, isn't it? Would you really want life to be just like a Walton's episode though? (Keeping in mind I have never actually seen this show!)

Life is always (and never) that sweet and wholesome - I know after the shock of Dash's health problems, every little thing seemed sweeter to us. Things all 'normal' parents took for granted and never really bothered to savour. The sadness and the sweetness seemed to go hand-in-hand...

Is that not the same for you now?
:-)
BB

Pam said...

How true, how true!

I was a Walton's fan, myself.

"Good night John Boy".....

Actually, I can go a lot further back with my TV nostalgia when it comes to "family".

I gave my daughter the first name of the little girl on "The Donna Reed" show so I could call her "Tricia".

Of course, I was also a fan of "Father Knows Best". I look back at that one and have my doubts, these days. LOL!

Life was more simple back then, at least for kids. I'm not so sure that holds true from adults.

Pencil Writer said...

I'm with Bush Babe. Until we taste the bitter, we aren't really able to appreciate or even comprehend the sweet! At least not as deeply, with as great an understanding. May you have many sweet days ahead, Debby.

Redlefty said...

"It would be nice if everything had a happy ending."

Oh, I think it definitely does. I just think we often call the ending a little too soon.

Debby said...

Redlefty, all the red headed freckled fellows I know are wise guys. You're just wise. How'd that happen? No. You all are right. I'm just tired from my trip and have been lambasted by some shocking news. I'm off kilter right now, and wishing that life was a little easier to take.

Kelly said...

Oh, my! Redlefty's comment is perfect!

Debby, I know exactly what you mean about something stirring up memories the way that show did for you... it's happened to me several times recently. Kind of a bittersweet feeling.

Mary Paddock said...

Yeah. What Red-lefty said. I hope that whatever shocked you so much passes soon.

Lavinia said...

The Waltons was such wholesome programming. I used to watch every episode when it originally ran. How I longed to be a part of that family!!

steviewren said...

It would be nice if everything had a happy ending. I've been kind of blue today and I always wish for happy endings when I'm feeling this way.

Scotty said...

Heh, I remember that show very well; I loved it. And some of those shows had it right too; we don't need to be shocked every other episode of the latest reality TV; we simply need to find some old-fashioned goodness at times.

Dave said...

Even so, life did seem simpler and more wholesome then. - Dave

Redlefty said...

Don't worry, Debby, I balance my wisdom with a complete inability to do handywork. It would take thirty of me to do what Tim can do himself.

Debby said...

Tim is red haired too and somewhat freckled. There's hope for you, young Redlefty!