Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Dylan

There is understanding something with your head, and there is understanding in your heart I understand, in my mind, that my children are grown ups. In my heart though, I'm always going to be one of those moms who keep forgetting that fact. I've had a very nice visit with Dylan. It has been again brought home to me that he's a man now. I've watched him go off to work in his nice Jeep. His house is small and neatly kept. He's very organized. He is very sensible. I watch him have a beer after work and I feel no need to lecture. I was even surprised to see that he now owns an iron and ironing board.
Huh.
I know he's a grown man and can take care of himself, but today I made a double batch of pepperoni rolls and made chicken and biscuits for him. I folded his laundry. It felt good to revert to 'mom mode', and Dylan is now mature enough not to mind.

11 comments:

Hal Johnson said...

I imagine I'll be much the same. Our Dylan is eight now, and I have to resist the urge to burp him.

Pam said...

What can I say? I have 3 kids in my household right now. One of them is the mother ( my daughter ) of the 2 boys.

I have my mom-mode moments with my son also, tho' he lives 5 hours away in San Antonio. :)

Once a mother, always a mother, on some level.

steviewren said...

Debby, I like doing things for my grown children too. It's nice to have them around. Or nice to be around them. Enjoy!

Mrs. Spit said...

My mother, God bless her, still brings me food and feeds me dinner, especially when my DH is out of town.

You are never to old to turn down mum's cooking.

Dave said...

A nice cozy blog Debbie. Good for you! - Dave

Bush Babe said...

Hah... I can feel my mother just ITCHING to reply to this post, yet knowing her two daughters will be watching!!!

I cannot imagine EVER not combing Dash's hair (will he ever remember to himself?) or checking Violet's ablutions have been (ahem) fully taken care of? I shall have a very hard time when it's time to change gear, methinks!!
:-)
BB

PS Still waiting patiently for photos!!

Debby said...

BB - yes, the day will come when you do not comb dash's hair, and the day will come when Violet will not need you to oversee the ablutions. (Hal, you made me laugh out loud!) The amazing thing is that it will happen sooner than you can ever imagine. It's nice being the mother of responsible grownups for the most part. Still, there is this mother inside just twitching to come out and do motherly things. BB, shamefully, I have not taken one picture. I know, I know. I suck at this stuff. Simply forgot I had the camera. I will try to take some today before I head back.

A Novel Woman said...

I hear you! I had a lovely lunch today with Eldest (now 22) and it was like being out with one of my friends, and then I realized, she IS one of my friends. How cool is that?

And what is this chicken and biscuits you speak of? Methinks I might like this.

jeanie said...

Oh, he is indeed grown up to not complain about such need to mother.

Glad you had a good time. And its okay, your words work as pictures for me.

Nana Trish is Living the Dream said...

I can totally relate to you. My daughter is 37 today and I sometimes slip and give her advice that is just plain not needed for a grown woman. She has done a great job with Avery and I have to remind myself that we are in different roles now. She is a dear friend now, but will always be my little girl in my heart.

Bob said...

I will show this to my wife as it will affirm her. She mothers us all.