Thursday, February 12, 2009

Stories

I read blogs because I think that everyone has a story, and I find them all fascinating. There are as many stories in the world as there are people.
*************
Melissa's mother wrote me to tell me how much my blog meant to her daughter. Her daughter had terminal cancer. I don't understand how my journey could have possibly made a difference in her journey, but I am glad that it might have. Her mother wrote again to tell me that she had died on Thursday. This mother has lived every mother's nightmare, watching her grown daughter lose a battle to cancer, and I cried for her.
*************
Today at the Cancer Center, I met another couple on the church prayer list. Only in their 20s, the young wife is also dealing with cancer. We had plenty to talk about and regaled each other with 'God moments' from our respective journeys. I drew strength from her.
*************
Yesterday, I met a friend who's dealing with cancer for the second time. She knows the ropes, having walked this walk before. We talked for a long time. I asked lots of questions about radiation. She answered them patiently. I learned from her.
************
I saw Mary again. She told me that she is about ready to give up her wig. She gave me a peek at her hair. I could not believe how much it had grown since I'd seen her just a couple weeks before. I rejoiced with her.
************
We all have stories. I've heard so many of them this week. Peryl's story. Bush Babe's story. Scotty's story. Stevyn's story. So many others. I understand why we are called to be in fellowship with one another by God Himself. Our stories matter. The life of one person is meant to dovetail neatly into the lives of others. We are designed to be part of a bigger picture. I can't think of anything sadder than a person who honestly believes that s/he has no story to contribute to the great narrative of this world.

14 comments:

Redlefty said...

I love blogland. The dovetailing stories, of which yours is a key one, have made me who I am.

Amy said...

what is going on with cancer? why are we not able to cure cancer or manage cancer so that people live? i dont understand. Would stem cell therapy help? whatever type of stem cells, i believe, if it could cure or impede cancer, im all for it. it is too cruel a disease.

Mrs. Spit said...

The stories matter, because we are part of such a grand story. From creation out of nothing to ressurection, to heaven, all of it is part of God's story.

Thanks for reminding me.

Caroline said...

Stories are important. For those of us with cancer, hearing from others who are or have dealt with the same thing, it is an invaluable form of support. This is round two for me as well. The first time, I didn't reach out and spent many years dealing with it on my own. I was 19 and stupid. I put my cancer in a box and pretended it wasn't there. Not this time. I am pretty open about it. I love reading your story as well.

steviewren said...

Debby, I love stories also. God stories, people stories, birth experience stories, amazing stories, ordinary stories of life and love...they're all interesting.

I used to know a lot of women that told stories of verbal abuse similar to mine. I tried to be an encouragement as well as offer suggestions about books that had helped me learn what to do. At some point following my divorce I needed to stop dealing with it...I don't call those people to myself anymore(you know the old 'birds of a feather flock together thing'). I hope it is because I am better and not because I was not willing to help any longer.

Bob said...

You are so right -- we are meant to have relationships. People drive me crazy but they also energize me.

Kelly said...

As I learned in my Bible study recently, our God-appointed destinies (which I think our stories are a part of) aren't just about us... they encompass a larger group, whether it be our family, friends, co-workers, whomever. We're meant to share with others in many ways.

Dean said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lavinia said...

So many stories, and I hate the feeling that I am missing out on hearing a particularly good one. That's why I wander over to your blog regularly, always worth a read. You have a very strong soul, Debby.

Bush Babe said...

You know what else I love about blogland - you choose the stories you allow into your life. I always find people's sidebars interesting... what KIND of stories do they look for? Religious, foreign, upbeat, sarcastic... people interest me so much.

I always choose your stories Deb - they dovetail into mine so truly. Not the same at all. Different but meaningful.

Love your words, girl. As always.
BB

Pam said...

I love the stories and I love that we've shared our stories! You're right. It is from this sharing that we grow, love, inspire and are inspired.

We are, after all, one family..

Lavinia said...

Happy Valentines Day Debby. Hope you're in smiles today....

steviewren said...

Thinking of you and your Pizza Hut date tonight. Happy Valentine's Day to you and your Mister.

Kim said...

We do all have a story to tell - I guess that is why I am a blog addict. I enjoy reading your story and wish you the best on your journey.