Saturday, February 28, 2009

A Sight for Sore Eyes

One thing that I love about people who have had cancer is that they reach out, automatically to other cancer fighters. It's instinctive, and it is heartfelt, and I love that. This is how I met my new friend Mary. She's just finished her radiation, and she has been a huge comfort to me on my own journey. Yesterday I sent Mary an e-mail.

Mary!!!!!!

After a couple weeks of feeling like a bristle head, that sensation of unshaven legs (on my head), I CAN SEE HAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Silver hair, like a grizzly bear, maybe. I CAN SEE MY HAIR!

*stands here blinking tears back*



Standing in front of the mirror, turning my head this way and that, my first instinct was to run from the bathroom in a towel to send Mary an e-mail. I couldn't wait to share my 'happy'. The thing is, I knew that it would make her day, just as she has, so often during these dark times, made my day. When this is all over and done with, the best thing that I can think to be is a 'Mary' to someone else.

15 comments:

rhubarbwhine said...

It's made my day too, Debby. Happy hair day!

Kim said...

I'm so glad you have these happy moments to share. It really makes one appreciate the simple things in life. I gave you an award on my blog.

Kelly said...

My favorite thing to do when my son just got a buzz was to rub my hand across it. If I were there, I'd give you a head rub, too!

Congratulations on the new hair growth!!

Oh...and I firmly believe God wants us to be there for others who are experiencing the same trials He's seen us through.

Mikey said...

Yay!!!! I'm so glad for you!!

marriage.tour said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
A Novel Woman said...

Well, I guess there's something to be said for being bear naked. ;)

Yay for the return of your hair!!

quid said...

I'm sure you're lookin' gawdgeous.

I have been busy, but have been checking in on your big day, your mindful trip to Dylan's... and I laughed my butt off at the German Shephard picture. (I do think that is my granddog, Chico. But he is not very religious.)

I do volunteer work at my local cancer center. My team lead is a wonderful little woman named Angie. She just got a thyroid cancer diagnosis. It touches all of us. I will try to invoke your spirit and your passion for life as we get her through the next few months.

Hugs. Q

Debby said...

Good luck, Quid. Don't hesitate to give my e-mail address to her. I'll be glad to lend my own long distance support.

Pam said...

Happy Hair Day, indeed! Your crowning glory is making a comeback!!

Scotty said...

Be a 'Mary' to someone else? That's exactly the kind of 'Pay It Forward' thinking that the world needs more of. Kudos to you and Mary both.

And happy hair day from me too.

:-)

Blog Princess G said...

Sending good health and hair vibes... and many hugs!

Lavinia said...

Silver purple blue or green, as long as its growing and growing straight, that's great!!

Stuart Peel said...

Fantastic !! That must have made you feel great.

PaintedPromise said...

woo hoo Deb! and...

"When this is all over and done with, the best thing that I can think to be is a 'Mary' to someone else."

My dear, I'll bet you already HAVE been a 'Mary" to someone else through your blogging... in fact I'd bet a BUNCH of money that you will continue to be a "Mary" to endless people throughout your future... that's just Deb!!!

PaintedPromise said...

PS woo hoo was for the hair!!!