Saturday, February 7, 2009

Getting Over It

Yesterday, our computer got sick. It picked up some sort of virus, and started having some real violent symptoms almost immediately. Pop up warnings that we were infected with 103 Trojan viruses began to pop up. (Danger, danger, red alert!) And when we clicked on 'ignore', more pop ups appeared to warn us that our paypal account was being hacked into that very minute, and that we MUST take immediate action. We pressed on 'proceed without protection' and started our own virus scan. The next thing you know, this new virus protection system had installed itself on our desk top, and was on our tool bar. It blocked our access to our internet system, with warnings that accessing this could destroy our computer unless we bought their security right now, and let them make our computer safe. Meanwhile, our own security system was telling us that there were no threats. I was actually a little amazed that they weren't noticing that our computer had been completely hijacked. I couldn't access my e-mails and the internet for all the warnings and pop ups. Our system was completely imobilized by this damned A360 thing. I've no idea where it came from, how it singled in on us, but it was far more troublesome than any virus that we ever came across, I'm telling you.
*************************
After trying to find out how to get this thing out of my computer, I finally ended up going in and doing a complete system restore. It worked. Mostly what I'm proud of is that even with my fuzzy chemo brain, I managed to remember this option, and moreover, I was able to figure out how I'd done it the one time that I'd done it before. It was a pretty easy step, eradicated the problem, made me feel competant and bright.
**************************
I'll begin a part time job in March, and a full time job in April. I can work both of these jobs around my daily radiation. My life is getting back to normal, it feels like. I'm looking forward to the day when I have hair again. I'm looking forward to feeling in control of my life. I'm looking forward to the day when my schedule does not revolve around 8 trips to the cancer center every 14 days (this down from 11). People have been so kind, but I am looking forward to being able to repay those kindnesses. I am just happy, so happy to find myself looking forward again.

10 comments:

Hal Johnson said...

I'm happy for you, Debby.

soulbrush said...

yahooooooooo what a wonderful feeling...light at the end of the dark tunnel.

Blicky Kitty said...

Yay I'm so happy to read when things are looking up for you. That computer virus sounds frustrating and you're awesome to be able to figure it out on your own. Think about how much $ you saved by not having to call anyone!

Pam said...

You go girl! Tech queen of the moment! I detest computer issues! I've spent hours and into the wee hours of the morning trying to figure out some issue on my or the boys' computer. After awhile I'm on a mission and will stick with it if it kills me!

I've also wished I could take a hammer to them before! :)

Looking forward is such a good feeling! I'm so happy that you are now launched upon this face-forward journey!

While I can't begin to appreciate this nightmare that you're emerging from, I can cheer with you as you cross the chemo finish line this month!

You have, as you know, my prayers and my admiration!

Portia said...

You never cease to amaze me, fixing your computer yourself and getting two jobs all while having chemo brain.

Anonymous said...

I HAVE BEEN READING YOUR PAST BLOGS, I NEVER KNEW YOU HATED ME THAT MUCH. WAS I A PERFECT MOTHER NO, WERE YOU A PERFECT DAUGHTER NO. ARE YOU JUSTIFIED IN YOUR FEELINGS, WELL I'M LEAVING THAT UP TO GOD. HE WILL JUDGE YOU AND HE WILL JUDGE ME AND HE WILL BE FAIR. ALL I KNOW IS YESTERDAY IS GONE WHAT WAS SAID CAN'T BE UNSAID AND WHAT WAS DONE CAN'T BE UNDONE. WE ONLY HAVE TODAY TO MEND FENCES AND BUILD BRIDGES TOMORROW WE MAY NOT HAVE A SECOND CHANCE. I LOVE YOU AND WISH YOU MUCH HAPPINESS MOM

Bush Babe said...

Hey there Deb... and hello Deb's mum. Deb, you are amazing and I am so proud of your clear-headedness - I am incapable of remembering such things with NO excuse for fuzzy thinking!!

Deb's mum - it's none of my business but can I say that NONE of us are under the impression that your daughter hates you. The relationships of mothers and daughters are tricky things. Perhaps you could find a better tool to communicate with her - the phone? We are all cheering her on to her final chemo treatment at the moment - you should be proud of how well she is fighting this battle. She is a strong, courageous, amazing woman.

Hugs to all
BB

steviewren said...

Don't let manipulative guilt trips and angry words get you down Debby. You are almost at the end of your journey. It's time to put all this behind you and move on.

What will you be doing at your new jobs?

Mary Paddock said...

Oh my

Your strength of mind is staggering. I can't imagine going back to work while still going through treatment for cancer. What kind of jobs are you taking?

PS. The system restore you did--was this a complete reinstall of of your OS from your back up files on a separate partition or was it a Windows Restore? I've got a good reason for asking, I promise.

Cimba7200 said...

A very clever move Debbie, but keep in mind that whatever it was may still be in your computer(because you can re-restore it to what you had before.) Make sure that your protections are up-to-date and do scans frequently. Best wishes, - Dave