Saturday, January 31, 2009

Stripping


Okay, so I don't talk about it a lot, but we have been really working on renovating. The house is 150 years old, and it is finally starting to take shape. One thing that really bothered me was the molding. The beautiful molding around two door frames had been painted a color I've never seen on wood in my life. You know that gold fiestaware?

Yes, somebody had painted the molding on those two doors that color. It was shiny just like the fiestawear. Why would somebody do that to beautiful wood door frames?

Ack.
That needed to be stripped. It was butt ugly.
What?
Yeah. I was talking about wood stripping.
Get your mind out of the gutter, for heaven's sake.
It's cold here!
Gees.
Good news is that another day of work should see that part of the job done. After months of structural repairs (assisted by brother in law Dave), ripping out a fireplace (with a FORMICA mantel, for the good Lord's sake!) jacking the house up, replacing beams, ripping out bathrooms, and kitchens, rewiring, ripping down crumbling plaster and lathe, drywalling, that sort of thing, now we are painting. Wow. Does that ever make a difference! It's turning out beautifully. We were looking at carpeting the other day.
Seems impossible that we've finally gotten to that point.

4 comments:

steviewren said...

Debby, I'd love to see before and after pictures. I love old houses. They have so much character. A house that is 150 years old is bound to have stories to tell. I bet you have been busy uncovering them.

I grew up in a house that was circa 1920 or 1930. At some point in my childhood my parents had the wooden front porch replaced with a cement porch. The workers found a tiny child's cast iron iron in one of the supports. Have you found any surprises?

Mary Paddock said...

'Would love to see some pictures Deb.

Cimba7200 said...

I agree with Steviewren. Before and after pics would be great. But we don't think to take photos before we start huh? - Dave

MuseSwings said...

Pictures pleeeeeeeeze! Formica on the fireplace? Now that's orginal - but in a bad way. They should have at least covered it with some nice contact paper or something. Good job Debbie!