Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Spring

My birdfeeder has been seeing a lot of activity. It is nearly empty at the end of each day, and it is not uncommon to look out and see 30 birds flocked around it and the suet. I noticed something today that left me glad in my heart. Goldfinches are bright yellow in the summer, but fade to a dull khaki color in the winter. However, I noticed today that these little birds are already beginning to turn yellow again.
Spring is coming!
Yay!
This has been a long winter.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

My goldfinches are starting to brighten up, too, Debby.

I had to ask a birder friend the first year I noticed them what they were. I didn't realize at the time that they had a "winter coat" which would change!

steviewren said...

The days are getting longer too. It is still a little daylight when I pull into my driveway at night. I hate the couple of months that I have to drive home in the dark. Yea for spring!

Bibi said...

Hi! I came across your blog through Muse Swings. I see you live in Pennsylvania, and that is where I was born (Harrisburg) and spent my childhood. Where are you? I see also that apparently you are undergoing chemo; so did I. Please visit my site and click on the email link to write to me.

Nana Trish is Living the Dream said...

Those sweet little birds are so cute. We know the Lord watches over them and us too! You are so sweet to feed them.