Wednesday, January 21, 2009

President Obama

Yesterday, on Inauguration Day, I received an e-mail from one of the 22%, one of Bush's die hard supporters. It began with the line "On this most depressing day...." It was the same old tired bull about Obama coming to take our guns away. As if, with all the problems facing this country, guns are the critical issue. I get so sick of hearing this crap. Fearmongering. That's all it is. Bold faced lies and propaganda. Obama has addressed the gun issue, and has made it clear that he doesn't plan to come and take our hunting rifles. Now, people are entitled to their opinions, and can believe what they choose. However, when I send an e-mail that says, 'Let's just agree to disagree on politics,' it seems to me that the gracious and polite thing to do is respect my opinions and quit sending me your Obama-bashing e-mails. Let's admit it, people. Bush made some critical mistakes during his presidency. These mistakes were so grave that his own party began to distance themselves from the presidency during the primaries. I make no bones about it. I am a supporter of Barack Obama. I was from the very first time that I heard him speak. I am an idealist, and the things that he says make perfect sense to me. I'm not going to re-hash my views on President Bush. I am not going to defend President Obama. I don't have to. The man won the election. Overwhelmingly. I will say this: Our country is undeniably in trouble. I think that we ought quit worrying about who we wanted to win the election. Regardless of who you voted for, I think that we better start praying to God that Obama is the most successful president history has ever seen.
*************
So, I ask all Americans:
What do you love more? Your politics or your country?

6 comments:

A Novel Woman said...

Wasn't there a reference in Obama's speech about discussing politics with civility and respect? That the reality, today, right now, isn't about red states and blue states? That everyone needs to come together and work together towards a common goal of peace and prosperity?

There are a few people I have come across on other boards who speak only from the heart and never from the head, who spout empty rhetoric because they have their views and won't be challenged. The only "challenge" is asking them to keep an open mind. To think. To question. I don't care which side they fall on, just be logical.

I am passionate about Obama, and infused with a sense of elation, it's true. But I'm also LISTENING, and giving his ideas the thoughtful reflection they, and he, deserve.

I have to add that as a Canadian, I'll never understand why many Americans make political discussions PERSONAL and see healthy debate as personal attacks. Discussing politics is a national sport up here, like hockey, so I just don't get that....but then, we follow French politics, UK politics, American politics.... I guess it's the long cold winters. We need something else to keep us hot and bothered and occupied. :)

Bush Babe said...

Y'all know what I think... despite my blog name, I have no alliances in US politics at all. I wait with interest and a very vested interest in the outcome. The whole world does.

I agree with Pam about the politics being a good thing to discuss openly. And I think we should ride the wave of elation - God knows there are few enough politicians who give us the buzz he does!!

Interested to hear what's going on behind the scenes - the media coverage is all Obama, Obama, Obama.
BB

Reddunappy said...

Ok I am slow BB, I just got the "Bush" part LOL what can I say, obviously I am not political.

I sure love my country much more than politics, I hate politics! here where we live, in S SW Washington, we get stuck with Portland news, and all that is on there has been about thier asshat gay mayor having an affair with an 18 year old, 2 years before he even started running for mayor, well he tried to cover it up, All I can say is we didnt impeach Clinton for having an afair, and lord knows he lied about it. Give me a break!

Mary Paddock said...

I am watching Obama's first days with great interest as well. Even today I heard someone refer to him being a Muslim and I rolled my eyes. However this time I decided to let it go rather than correct him. Enough already. Lets get on with solving problems.

quid said...

If I have to be honest, I love 'em both!

I'm with you, Debby, on being over this divisiveness. (Is that a word?).

quid

Redlefty said...

What's weird is that the right to bear arms was intended to give citizens the capability to form a militia and overthrow the gov't, if necessary. It was supposed to be about the people holding the power.

But with where we are now with military and technology, I don't think my hunting rifle can take on a stealth bomber!

Tanks for everyone, maybe?