Tuesday, January 20, 2009

President Obama

Yesterday at the cancer center, I ran into my aunt. Together we watched our new President on TV. People are so enthusiastic about the change that is coming. I listened to people suddenly convinced that their job is also to bring about change in their own neighborhoods. I listened to people getting emotional and patriotic about America. This has not happened in my life time. Ever. I'm not sure how it happened, but suddenly, everyone has seemed to come together in a very big way. We are all playing for the same team.
E Pluribus Unum.
**********
I cannot be in Washington DC with Cara. I wish that I could be, but it is what it is. I will watch history unfolding on the television today. I will celebrate the change along with the vast majority of Americans. We've got a long row to hoe, but with everyone pitching in to do their share, I cannot see how we will fail.

5 comments:

rhubarbwhine said...

The inaugeration (sp) has just started televising here. I will be going to bed... I'll hear about t in the morning and see the highlights. The dawn of a new change.

MuseSwings said...

E Pluibus Unum!

Scotty said...

Go Obama! I think he will do many great things in his time.

Bob said...

I know this inauguration is historical and I wish him all the best, but all this "coming together" stuff (a worthy goal) is nothing new. Politicians from both sides have been saying it for years and at every inauguration of every new president that I remember, some form of this has been espoused.

Why should I hope that this President will be any different and that the coming together will actually happen this time? I am not trying to be a pessimist but, really, the election of Barack Obama is much like that of Bill Clinton. The media and the celebs love him. And a lot of us regular people are supportive, but skeptical.

The biggest "coming together" I remember in my lifetime is right after Sept. 11, 2001. And rightfully so. If ever there were a time to put our differences aside, that was it.

But again, people have short memories and so many folks don't want to admit that George W. Bush, by the way he conducted himself, had a big hand in uniting this country in the days that followed the Twin Towers attacks. Say what you will about the rest of his presidency and the mistakes he made, but by God, he came through on national security.

So yes, I am all for coming together, but please, oh please -- this is not an original idea.

(Still pulling for you and praying for you, Debby).

Pencil Writer said...

Thanks, Bob.