Sunday, January 11, 2009

Interviewed

Rhubarb is interviewing me. Since I've been at a loss for words lately, I figured it was an easy way to put together a post. I'm still trying to come up with 10 facts about myself for the "I got Scrap" tag. I know that I can be scrappy. I just can't think of anything interesting about myself. I'm still thinking on it, Mikey. I mean she posted a nudey picture of herself on her blog. I don't plan on topping that.
I can't.
And I shouldn't.
I won't.
*************
Anyways, let's get started on this interview.

Debby, you are a wonderful writer. Tell us, why do you write a weblog? What got you started and why?

When I was very young, I took to reading with a vengeance. By the time that I was in fourth or fifth grade, I was reading at least one book a day, and was noted in school for reading at a college level. What this meant was that the teachers had no more materials to test me with, so while other kids read and tested to improve their reading comprehension, I was allowed to read whatever I wanted, left completely to my own devices. It was a very nice time. I read constantly, at home, at school, where every I was. I distinctly remember the day that I read Mark Twain for the first time. He's still one of my favorites. I wept over books, and I laughed out loud at books. They become my little world within a world. I just think that when you spend that much time immersed in words, you naturally become skillful at putting them together. This being said, I don't believe that I am an especially gifted writer, truth be told. It always surprises me when people say that I am, and I invariably think they are just being kind.

I started blogging because of Mikey. Mikey had read a comment on another blog. She thought I was funny stuff.
(I am pretty funny stuff, by the way).
She began needling me to blog. It wouldn't have occured to me to do so on my own. I thought I'd give it a try. Now, a full year later, I'm still blogging away.

What's something that has been truly timeless for you?

Probably my friend, Mary. It's a neat thing to have a friend that you have had for 40+ years. I look at her and I see other places, other times, other people, other days. Unending summers. Phone calls. The torment that is high school. The doubt of motherhood. Sad times. Glad times. When I am with my friend, I am all the other ages I've been. I hope that it is the same for her.

If you could have dinner with four contemporary public figures, where everybody's entree (except for yours) was heavily flavoured with strychnine, who would the guests be and why?

Ack.

I couldn't do this. There are lots of people that I believe have no business breathing. They are mostly people who consider themselves worthy to pronounce judgements on others. Women being stoned in the mideast, Darfur, Somalia. Really, every where you look, either on a grand scale or a tiny scale, you see people judging, and condemning, doing horrible things in their own self righteousness. I believe that God said "Thou shalt not judge" for a reason, and if you have eyes in your head, you'll figure out why in pretty short order.

Do I ask God why he doesn't smite people? Yep. Things just would be a lot simpler if he'd just haul off and smite people like he did in the 'olden days'. But He doesn't. I don't care how angry I am at a person. I simply could not sit down at a table, and watch them eat strychnine. It would make me one of them.

Inquiring minds want to know - do you prefer your men in boxers or briefs?

I prefer just the one man, naked when it's practical.

Finally, a topical issue. If you could give some advice to women before or after they are diagnosed with breast cancer, what would you tell them?

Since I'm in the middle of the battle right this very minute, I don't really feel qualified to offer advice. Really. I am simply dealing with the issues as they come up. I think my biggest hurdle has been learning to talk about my own personal hard times. I am a good listener, and I am a person quick to comfort. but I tend to be very close mouthed about my own problems. I am just learning to talk to others about these things, and that is important. Accepting help has been another issue for me. This is a holy time, steeped in lessons. I simply try to learn them, and to endure patiently. Maybe, when this is all said and done, I'll have words of wisdom. Right now, I'm simply trying to survive.
*checks pulse*
Yes.
I'm still surviving.
***************
If you’d like to join the fun, it’s simple.
Send me an email or a comment saying ‘interview me’.
I will then email you five questions that I choose.
You can then answer them on your blog.

15 comments:

Mikey said...

Blame it all on me, why don'tcha? lol, HAS IT BEEN A YEAR ALREADY? Man time flies!!
Ok, dang it. Interview me, lol. I can't wait to see what you come up with. Goody, then I can interview someone else!!! HAH!
Ok, off to the kids gymkhana, where I plan to ride with all my clothes on :)

Debby said...

Okay, that will give me something to think about for a while.

*wanders off musing 'Any five questions I want...'*

This oughta be good.

Portia said...

Interview me. You do a wonderful job of putting your thoughts and feelings down in a way that it makes them easy and fun to read.

Have you seen "The Dark Knight"? Heath Ledger's last movie.

jeanie said...

Can you fit me in too?

Happy blogiversary also!! Thanks Mikey.

I love that you have 40 years of history with Mary - that is truly special.

Scotty said...

Count me in too, Debby, if you want to - any question(s) ya like.

:-)

Disclaimer: (one that I tell everybody) - please be absolutely sure you want to hear my answer before you ask the question; I value honesty and I can be forthright at times which can make some folks feel uncomfortable...

:-) :-)

Debby said...

Oooh. I best get thinking up questions.

Believe me, Scotty, your questions will be carefully, carefully considered! LOL!

Debby said...

Portia: I just realized that I didn't save your e-mail address in my contact list

*face turns bright red*

Send me a quick e-mail, and I'll send you your questions AND put your address in my contact list. Sorry about that.

Scotty said...

LOL, Debby - have received my questions and am working on them now - will post them as tomorrow's blog entry...

:-)

Cimba7200 said...

You know Debbie, you really do have a good sense of humour and a good open mind. I enjoyed reading this series of Q & A's. - Dave

Bush Babe said...

Fabulous answers... great questions too RW!! THat dinner party one had me going!!!
:-)
BB

rhubarbwhine said...

Great responses Debby, you certainly were quick!

Andrea said...

Stopped by via a comment on another blog...so glad I did. Your writing is just wonderful. I look forward to visiting often. :)

steviewren said...

Very interesting questions and answers! I agree with you about how being a voracious reader makes you can't help but know something about good writing. I've always said that I may not know the grammar rules or be a good speller, but I can usually look at a sentence and tell you if it's wrong. From reading so much I recognize the errors.

And BTW, you are a good writer, just accept it.

Pencil Writer said...

Just learned, via Jeanie in Paradise's blog that your Tim has the same birthday as my son. Small world.

PaintedPromise said...

ok Debby, i'm game. i've been a bad blogger and have some catching up to do so this will help :) hit me with the interview!