Monday, January 26, 2009

Fun

I got Trevor's pin on Saturday, the one that read 'Cancer Sucks!' I put it on my coat right away. It sure does make people do a double take. They usually laugh, after the initial staring. Somehow it just made me feel a lot like my old self.
The 'spunky' self.
The 'funny' self.
It also made me very aware of how much of myself has been lost during this time. I've become a different self altogether.
The 'coping' self.
I realized what was missing. I had company on Friday night. My sister and her husband came for supper. They also brought supper. (Man. Sometimes having cancer just kind of works for me.) I met a woman, through the newspaper who is about 2 months ahead of me treatment-wise. She has been an invaluable resource to me. I also found out (in one of those ironies of small town living) that she was my sister and her husband's maid of honor at their wedding 20+ years ago. They had lost touch through the years. It was fun to orchestrate the reunion.
I miss fun.
I'm going to have more of it.

13 comments:

Teri Armfield said...

You go girl. You deserve to have fun (cancer or no cancer). I still pray for you and will continue to do so as often as I read your blog. Keep your (fun) chin up and remember that God loves you.

Stuart Peel said...

How are you my lovely, doing okay ? Fun is a commodity that none of us get nearly enough of. I think a daily portion should be legislated, who knows with Barack in the Oval, it could happen.

Hal Johnson said...

The thing is, Debby, I never thought that you quit being fun. Sure, you were honest about the dark times, but that honesty made your humor shine all the more. Your sense of humor may have been dampened, but to me, it never went away.

Kelly said...

Love the "Cancer Sucks" pin!!!

What an interesting tidbit about the woman from your sister's wedding. Don't you love stuff like that?!

Cara said...

I was going to get you one of the Cuck Fancer bracelets, but I thought perhaps you'd think it a bit obscene.

Mikey said...

I'm glad to see you're back to your old self :)

Debby said...

Oh, everybody...have you met my darling daughter Cara?

Oh, and darling daughter Cara? YOUR MOUTH!!!!!!

Blicky Kitty said...

I agree with Hal. There's always something that shines through in your writing even though you might be feeling lost to your coping self.

Technically Cara didn't swear, did she? That bracelet would be funny if it were really elegantly engraved on a formal piece of jewelry.

Blicky Kitty said...

OH just saw your playlist too. Don'tcha just love Joni Mitchell?

Debby said...

Blicky - do not encourage the Cara. Technically, I could get her a formal piece of jewelry that reads 'Muck Fono'.

steviewren said...

I'm glad you're feeling more like your old self. Enjoy it.

Cara said...

so true, so true... MUCK FONO... MUCK FONO...

jeanie said...

lol Cara!! Its your mother dear! It is Muddy Blono to you!

I am so glad you are finding your strands of fun Debby. Somehow even when you are down you find moments of clarity, so when you string through a few good moments they truly shine in your writing.