Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas

This is our Christmas tree. I tried to take pictures of most of the ornaments, but couldn't, which disproves Bush Babe recent post on photography. But anyways, I've got handmade ornaments from my godparents, given to me when I was a teenager. Beaded ornaments that my grandmother made, and so people who are no longer with us are remembered as we decorate our tree. There are ornaments that the kids made in school. This is Dylan's baby shoe. There are two more baby shoes in my tree. Children long grown are remembered as I decorate my tree. Ornaments I received while I was in the service, people who have faded into memories. Ornaments from friends that I can call in a minute to say I love them. The kids are Irish, so there are Celtic ornaments.
Dixie sent me an ornament from the 'White House' collection every year when she worked in Washington DC. I also have a nice collection of bird ornaments from Tim. He knows that I love birds, and he loves me. There are also ornaments for Tim from me. Hearts. Baby's first Christmas ornaments. Ornaments that we bought for the kids each year, and hung on the tree. Some day, when they are ready to put up their own trees, these ornaments will be taken from our collection, and passed to them. Thus, their trees will be decorated with memories from the very first year. This ornament is older than I am. It is from my parents' first Christmas as a married couple, back in 1956, and it has hung on every tree that I can remember.
When Tim and I first married, he only had a very tiny tree. He didn't like the fuss and work of a big tree. This is our 12th Christmas. He's gotten so fond of big trees that he now rejects trees because they are too small.

*******************
'Family' is not just a group of people. We are our shared memories. Every year, when we put up the tree, those memories are taken out and enjoyed.
I love Christmas.
I love my family.
*******************
Merry Christmas, everyone. Make a memory!

12 comments:

steviewren said...

Mmmmm, I love you baby shoe as an ornament idea. I'm going to pass it along to my daughter, since next Christmas will be her first to have a baby of her own.

Like you all of my ornaments come with a memory attached. I downsized my tree this year but still crammed all of the ornaments on it. I couldn't bear to leave any off.

steviewren said...

I really should proof before I publish....your and bare.....

Anonymous said...

I just love your tree and the special ornaments. What a wonderful idea. Looks like your Christmas is really shaping up. Have a good one everybody. Barb

M+B said...

Your tree has some wonderful sentimental and special decorations.

Hoping you and your family have a wonderful Christmas.

Mikey said...

Wow, love that ornament from your parents. That's a special one!
Merry Christmas from the crazies in AZ. Pray for a calm quiet day, lol.
Wishing you the very best Christmas ever!

Stuart Peel said...

And Merry Christmas to you too. xxx

Scotty said...

Great tree and decorations - have a terrific Christmas, Debby - warmest wishes on this day to you and yours.
:-)

jeanie said...

Bear works, Stevie.

Merry Christmas - I love your tree and the memories on it.

Bush Babe said...

Great post Deb - just finished an exhausting but wonderful Christmas day here Down Under...

A big Merry Christmas to you and your chosen family.
Hugs
BB

Portia said...

Hope you are having a Merry Christmas. It's fun that you have ornaments that have stories behind them.

PaintedPromise said...

wow baby shoe i never thought of that one... but i did what you are talking about Deb, made up a box for each of my girls, with some of the ornaments i got from my grandma when she stopped putting up her tree... some of them from when my dad was a baby!

i miss putting up a tree... well, kinda. i guess i should say, i miss having it up. i don't miss putting it up and taking it down... especially since the kids don't want to help any more! this year, hey, i was lucky i got lights on the porch...

PaintedPromise said...

duh forgot to say:\

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!