Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year

Over at Stuart's blog, he ponders whether there is actually a point to New Year's Eve celebrations. I think that there is. This has been a struggling kind of year for me, personally. Difficulties on the job led me to doubt myself, and my place there, a real point of grief because I loved my job. After reporting to a grueling and stressful third shift job for years because it was financing college educations for my children, simply enjoying my job was a luxury. I discovered I had cancer. Tim's company went belly-up, leaving us without insurance. We have always been careful with money, but now 'being careful with money' is an understatement.
*******************
Yet we will still be celebrating the New Year tonight. We will not be in Times Square with Dylan and Cara but we will be at home, quietly counting down the final moments to 2008. The year has been a milestone, in many ways. We've grown. We've found out who our friends are. (Heartbreakingly, we've also found out who are not.) We've been blessed in these dark times, and we are grateful for those blessings.
*******************
All over the world, people will be bringing in the new year. Some people will be looking back at 2008 and toasting the successes of the year that was. Other people will be looking ahead to 2009 and saying, 'This year will surely be better'. You have your good years, you have your bad years. You put all of those years together and you have your life. Today is the day that we have arbitrarily decided ends one year and begins another. It is a time to take stock. It is a time to look forward. It is a chance to look at your life, and resolve to make changes. It is a new beginning. It is an end. It is a day of note.
*******************
As for me and my house, we will celebrate it.

12 comments:

Scotty said...

And here's wishing you and yours a great 2009, Debby - will be thinking of ya on this side of the pond.

:-)

Lavinia said...

Happy New Year Debby, to you and yours. I hope 2009 brings an end to your current ordeal and a beautiful new beginning to the rest of your life. Blessings!

Stuart Peel said...

Happy New Year. xx

Bob said...

Lots to celebrate. I 'toasted' you on my blog today. Happy New Year. Good health and good times in 2009.

Mikey said...

You need a laugh. Come over and see me nekkid on my blog. Maybe that'll do it for you. Don't be drinking coffee or eating. I'm not responsible if you choke or spill on your computer.
BTW, you've been Scrapped too. So there!

Redlefty said...

Happy New Year!

steviewren said...

I'm going to celebrate the end of the year with a dear friend tonight. It won't be very different than the way we celebrate the end of the work week. Dinner and a movie.

It has certainly been an eventful year for you this year. I hope the events of 2009 will be happy resolutions to the events of 2008. Hard to swallow circumstances are often the circumstances that teach us the most important lessons of our lives. So here's to you Debby! I salute you tonight!

Portia said...

Happy New Year! 2008 has brought many challenges and blessing, as I'm sure 2009 will bring. My prayer is that I will acknowledge the blessings and have the strength to deal with the challenges.

I'm glad to hear that you are celebrating. Any New Year's resolutions?

We are at home celebrating with a house full of teenagers.

Pencil Writer said...

Happy New Year, Debby and Tim and family. May God Bless you all this coming new year!

Bush Babe said...

What Steviewren said... Happy New Year Dearest Deb... I have already toasted you from my side of the globe, and hoping that 2009 brings joy, health and happiness to your family. You richly deserve it all...
Hugs
BB

Anonymous said...

And a Happy New Year to you all also. May 2009 be as memorable for you for all the good things you need and that 2008 was not. Thinking of you this hot, hot New Year's Day in Queensland, but don't think I'll swap spots!! Hope 2009 is a good one for all.

Love Barb

Hal Johnson said...

Happy New Year to you, Tim, and the rest of the family, and may 2009 find things on the upswing.