Saturday, December 13, 2008

Energized

Cara has whizzed in from school, and from finals. I am exhausted, but I don't want to miss a visit with her, so we bake spice cookies today. She tells me about her adventures. Her classes, and her teachers. The girls in her dorm...'L' who is so comfortable with herself that she mooned the RA in the lobby. The girl who goes to bed at 8. Allie, the friend who saran wrapped her door, meaning that Cara woke up and opened her door and found herself trapped inside her room by a duct taped clear wall of saran wrap. About tight-wad girl who always 'forgets' money, although her parents deposit money in an account for her every month. The girl then waits to see who will volunteer to buy her meal or her drink or whatever. We laugh and we bake, and I listen.
******************
Cara has plans for her month off. She's going to Michigan to see her grandfather. She's back here for Christmas, and then she's hopping a college-sponsored bus to New York City with friends, to do New Year's Eve in Times Square. She'll bunk in with her brother, and he'll go into town with her and her friends. She is determined that I should be able to see them all on television. Then she's back here for a while, and then back to college, where she's hopping another bus to go to Washington, DC for Barack Obama's inauguration.
******************
Geoff is having some problems with her independence. She has explained to him that she's young, and she wants to see these things. She's explained that they are dating, but that she doesn't want it to be anything more than that, not right now, that she wants to live, and to experience, to savor the college years. Geoff is not happy. Cara says, matter of factly, 'It won't work. He's a nice person, but I'm not going to be happy if I just stay home and date Geoff. He's not going to be happy unless I do. I'm going to break it off now.'
*****************
I look at this girl, and I think that I was never so independent as she is. She is a breath of fresh air, strong, beautiful, sure in her own spirit, ready for whatever adventure awaits. I feel my own exhaustion slipping away a bit, as I drink in the energy of my youngest daughter.

11 comments:

rhubarbwhine said...

Debdy, you said " I was never so independent as she is. She is a breath of fresh air, strong, beautiful, sure in her own spirit, ready for whatever adventure awaits.". I so agree, she sounds amazing. I gind the generation of that same age so brave, so ready for independence, yet they venture into a world that is farr ;less; safe ( as benchmarked by our own). Yet onwards and upwards by each generation, so it continues.

Bob said...

They show up just when we need them most, don't they?

A Novel Woman said...

Oh, I hear you. I remember the boyfriend decision when Eldest went away to university. I think she said it's called the Thanksgiving Dump, because kids hang on until then.

My youngest goes to college next fall. Where did the time go?

As for the energy boost....be like Luke. Use the force.

Pam

Mikey said...

Yeah!!! for her!! I think that's awesome that she has such a good head on her shoulders and is willing to break it off now, knowing it won't work. GAH I wish I'd done that sooner so many times. She's perfect, she's independent and I wish I was still her. Let her go experience all that great stuff. Arm the girl with a camera, would ya? So those of us who don't get to go to the inauguration get to at least see it from her eyes.
You're so lucky to have her and I hope Mercy grows up to be exactly the same way.

Mary Paddock said...

I'm impressed too. What a very bright girl you've raised.

jeanie said...

How beautiful Deb, for you to have raised a daughter who you can admire so much!

Bush Babe said...

What a great relationship - am sure she feels as good in sharing her energy with you. And in knowing her own mind. I am constantly counselling girls to never be scared to be on your own (rather than in an ordinary relationship). She sounds fabulous! You must be proud.
:-)
BB

Bush Babe said...

What a great relationship - am sure she feels as good in sharing her energy with you. And in knowing her own mind. I am constantly counselling girls to never be scared to be on your own (rather than in an ordinary relationship). She sounds fabulous! You must be proud.
:-)
BB

Bush Babe said...

I swear I didn't hit Post Comment twice. Hand to heart. Blogger hates me sometimes!

M+B said...

It sounds like you have raised a wonderful young woman with her head screwed on tightly, and who knows just what she wants in life. You should be very proud.

mommamia said...

My daughter is also a freshmen this year and I am amazed by her energy and her self-confidence. It is energizing to be around them and to revel in their accomplishments.