Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas 2008

This Christmas was different than most. Because I am sick, I had to choose my activities. I simply couldn't do them all. I had to choose what was important. I had to prioritize carefully.
************
Because money was tight, we had to be careful about shopping, choosing the gifts that we thought would inspire the most delight.
************
The meal was simple and easy, but included everyone's favorites.
************
Despite all my worrying about Christmas cookies, between my own baking, and the cookies that Mary and my sister dropped off, I ended up with so many cookies that I bagged about half of them and put them in the freezer the day after Christmas.
************
Christmas Eve I had chemo. A preschool group had made gift bags for everyone. Hand lotion, lip balm, candy, even four new little ornaments for our tree. All my Christmas ornaments have a memory. I couldn't bring myself to put those little ornaments on my tree this year, but when I pack my ornaments away this year, you can bet that I will carefully pack these new ones in with the old.
*************
This year, Christmas was different, and I did a lot of fretting about it. Next year, however, this Christmas will be a memory. It will be remembered as the year that we all drew close, the year that the only thing that mattered were the important things...God, love, giving, friends, and family. Next year, I will hang those little ornaments, and I will smile, remembering the Christmas of 2008. I will smile because it was perfect.

12 comments:

A Novel Woman said...

That was beautiful, Debby.

I wish, for you and your family, a peaceful, healthful, prosperous New Year filled with love. May all your dreams come true, even the ones you didn't know you had.

Pam

Bob said...

Absolutely it was a perfect Christmas for you -- just what God knew you and your family needed; just as He knew we needed His perfect Son all those years ago. And your Christmas cookies? Ever hear about the loaves and fish? This gave me chills. Happy New Year Debby. Thanks for your beautiful writing that continues to inspire.

MuseSwings said...

Oh my gosh - I thought of the loaves and fishes too when I read about the cookies! Translate that to love - there's always more than what you started with. Bless you Debbie! I just love your comments on may blog - I always get a good laugh. By the way, now that your shopping is done, I'll be browsing around for your credit cards....a January adventure perhaps....

steviewren said...

I love the way you write about your life. Enjoy the attention and all the love the people in your world are sending your way.

Scotty said...

It's a loaves and fish trifecta, Debby, for although I'm nullifidian, I too, had a similar thought in that the leftover cookies could be given to a local shelter for abused women or handed out to some homeless folk.

And I'm glad to hear that you had a great day - you deserve it.

:-)

Stuart Peel said...

Oooh, cookies !! I keep meaning to bake some but never seem to do it.

Glad you had a special time. xx

Portia said...

It's always great to have extra cookies in the freezer. Wishing you rest and peace.

jeanie said...

Happy Christmas to you Debby - and I truly look forward to 2009.

rhubarbwhine said...

Happy New Year Debby, may it be all you wish for and more.

Hal Johnson said...

Wonderful post, Debby. Happy New Year.

Cimba7200 said...

Regardless of things I am glad that your Christmas was perfect Debbie! So was ours. - Dave

PaintedPromise said...

Blessings Deb... blessings :)